🎮 WDC #20 Can you build your own "Hangman"-style word game?

Previously…

After a brief hiatus the weekend design challenge returned last Friday. Participants were tasked with designing and creating their own To-Do List app and the results certainly did not disappoint. Massive thanks and congratulations to @tatiang @muneer @codeswept and @overturner who successfully completed their apps in the allotted time. Honourable mention to @tobi who shared one he had made earlier. If you have a To-Do list app you want to share, please do - we love to see what you create with Thunkable.

This Week:

Earlier in the week you voted for the game you wanted to attempt over the next few days, and in the end the classic word game “Hangman” won out. I don’t think this one requires too much explanation - the player has a limited number of guesses to work out the hidden word. Your app needs to keep track of all guessed letters, splitting them into correct guesses and incorrect guesses. There also needs to be a clear “Game Over” condition, depending on whether or not the player successfully guesses the word.

Prizes!

This week marks something of a mini-milestone as it’s our 20th Weekend Design challenge! To celebrate the wonderful @jane will once again be lending her creative talents to provide a custom designed sprite for the winner.

Good Luck :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

Summary of Entries

1 Like

I looooove word games, but I’ve always thought Hangman was a bit morbid. Is this a lynching reference? Yeah, not going there. So, I am pleased to present The Very HANGry Caterpillar, a friendlier implementation of Hangman. Guess a letter. If your word or phrase doesn’t contain that letter, the caterpillar will eat part of your garden. You win if you complete the word while you still have any garden left!

You can play it yourself using this link: thunkablecompanion UPDATE: well, you could have, before the app limit. I’ve unpublished, so you’ll have to take my word for it.

I was avoiding working on my shopping list app (feature creep - ugh!), so I made a video showing how I did it: WDC #20 walkthrough (How to build Hangman)

To-do: Currently, you get 8 guesses no matter what. Phrases should probably give you fewer guesses, especially some of the longer ones that have most of the letters in them – too easy as it is!

8 Likes

This is amazing! I especially love the way you chose to portray the number of guesses gone- a caterpillar eating a garden up! That’s so cool. And especially the animation/ jolt forward when the caterpillar grows bigger! I love it!

3 Likes

Here’s mine: DangMan

You can choose the length of the words you’ll get

Guess the word but using the inbuilt keyboard and the dashes gives. For each wrong guess a part of the person is shown.

I decided to skip APIs and use a different method. I’ve collected a couple of words in Airtable myself, and am relying on the users to add words and build our database. When you try the app, add a couple yourself!

Play it here:
https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/5fe1a9b9dd26a50012d8d2d8

8 Likes

bravo! it’s clever the way you stored the body parts (sounds gory!) - i’m impressed at its functionality!

4 Likes

i’m thoroughly impressed how you implemented the games especially the alternative way of showing impending tragedy (cuter than the original)! and also how efficiently cloning is put to good use!

5 Likes

Thank you! I realized that storing the parts in a list and then using the any component blocks to change the visibility was probably the quickest option. I used a lot of extra blocks to change background colors and sizes instead of just using visibility, though. That was because when I got the left arm first, it took up all the space from the right side the left, but as soon as I got the right arm it shifted to make way. I didn’t want all the shifting, so I decided to keep them in their place from the start, just with a white background to camouflage.

1 Like

Question about the cloning: how did you get the buttons to move to the next line once there’s no space left? I take it you’re cloning inside a row. How come it doesn’t continue horizontally and actually creates a new line?

1 Like

Great Game Dear @codeswept

3 Likes

Under advanced settings, positioning. Flex wrap. Best kept responsive design secret in the old interface. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you @rishabh_jainsec.acc :grinning:

1 Like

Aha! I knew you would have figured out that piece of gold! I’ve always wanted to clone keyboards and the like, but I always thought there was nothing I could do stop it from disappearing into the side of the frame.

2 Likes

Sizing for the container is a little weird on Android - expect to need to do some testing - ‘fit contents’ doesn’t deal well cloned components showing up.

3 Likes

Hi everyone!
This is my attempt.

name: Mr.HangMan.

you can gues letters or even the whole word!

It’s not finished yet.

this is some basic sttuff i quickly build.
anyways i wanted to take a break of being serious about my projects so i put a few memes inside of it when dying or winning.

[UPDATE]
you will now see dashes to show the number of letters and the letters will show at their position.
Like @codeswept suggested.

[UPDATE 2]
Fixed looping bug

@domhnallohanlon i also found a bug when using break out of loop block you get this error:
Screenshot 2021-07-10 5.00.24 PM
due to this you have to refresh when winning!

4 Likes

This is a great attempt, but I don’t see any dashes to show the number of letters or fill in the blanks for those letters.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @codeswept!
I’ll try to add this next time.
Was already on my to do list😅

3 Likes

Yeah… without that it’s impossible to guess the word.

1 Like

Yep.
Anyways do you have Any other things to improve?
So I can fix it tommmorow.
Thanks

3 Likes

here’s my entry!
i was inspired by the entries of @catsarisky (clones are powerful!) and @codeswept (clever imagery!) but i limited the game to words from 5 to 8 characters in length and the API i use only allows random gets on nouns and adjectives. i was surprised to realize towards the end that i had used clones of components in practically all the game parts!.

here’s the project link
https://x.thunkable.com/copy/61cf6f4a75ff4b3aebe3d07225ca8a1b

below is a screen capture midway into the game.

9 Likes