šŸŽ® WDC #20 Can you build your own "Hangman"-style word game?

Iā€™m impressed by the entries that have been posted so far!

I may not finish this by this weekend. And I need monospace fonts to get this to look right but I donā€™t think drag-and-drop supports font choices yet.

I love word games. Scrabble, Boggle, cryptoquips, you name it. I decided to modify Hangman to allow for longer phrases. But longer phrases are sometimes harder to guess so I decided to offer three puzzles at one time all related to a common theme. Iā€™m thinking of calling it This and That and That.

Hereā€™s a preview ā€“ not everything works yet ā€“ showing a sports theme where the answers are ā€œMiami Dolphinsā€, ā€œGolden State Warriorsā€ and ā€œLos Angeles Lakersā€. Youā€™re solving all three puzzles at the same time!

(Video has no sound)

9 Likes

Wonderful! This was a really cool idea. Iā€™m so glad Hangman was chosen as this weekā€™s theme, Iā€™m crazy over all manner of puzzles and word games. I hadnā€™t heard of crypto quips but it seems really cool (I Googled it).

5 Likes

Amazing Game @tatiang , @catsarisky , @manyone
And What is the meaning of ā€˜crypto quipsā€™ @codeswept

2 Likes

:raised_hands: I am in, with a simple Word Search Game

Currently, this is just an experimental version, So there is only one level. Also, I have built the logic only so no extra work was done on UI.

Components Used

• Label (x2)
  • Buttons (x50)
  • Column(x1)
  • Row (x7)

key Features

• Appreciate you when you search for a correct word
  • Give feedback on incorrect words.
  • Different color BG for each word.

Preview

wordsgame

Click here to view this project and play,

7 Likes

itā€™s a nice game but itā€™s not really a hangman style game where you try to guess the letters of a secret word.
maybe when we get a WDC for a word search game, you can submit it then.

4 Likes

Thank you! You can Google it but itā€™s a cryptogram puzzle where each letter of the alphabet has a coded letter that appears in the puzzle.

3 Likes

Well, I created ah hangman game too. Yes, but it works on a web viewer for i am a basic coder on thunkable and i am not able to make such good games as you so this is the link-Thunkable . Here is a video on it-
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4XgZwPQEQY46YTqf8 . I was seeing everyoneā€™s and mine is vannila javascript game. Please check it out!

1 Like

okay

1 Like

I donā€™t make the WDC rules (and I think excessive rule-making would ruin some of the fun), but I think thereā€™s a place for the web viewer within Weekend Design Challenges, for sure! There are lots of places where one might use javascript as a Thunkable extension to make something cool happen within the app, and Iā€™m interested in seeing clever ways to extend what Thunkable can do. I love WDC because itā€™s a chance to learn something new and develop my Thunking skills. I like seeing how other Thunkers have approached the problem differently, and Iā€™m really interested to hear about your process - why did you decide to do it the way you did?

So, I hope no one reads this post and thinks they canā€™t include some Javascript in a future WDC, because some Thunkable-Javascript combinations are super interesting to me, and Iā€™d like to be a better Javascript coder, too!

However, this submission doesnā€™t teach me anything about either Thunkable or Javascript. It appears to be a direct copy of code thatā€™s posted on the internet, and there are zero Thunkable blocks and only one element. @tanish-satpal , I hope next time youā€™ll submit something thatā€™s the result of your own work. Will it be as cool as embedding someone elseā€™s javascript into a web viewer window? I donā€™t know, but I do know itā€™ll be YOURS, and youā€™ll LEARN something by building it.

7 Likes

Oh, Iā€™m so sorry @catsarisky ! I never thought about it that way. Of course it would be great to use JavaScript to add cool features. In my WDC 10 I used a web-viewer for a copy-paste function. I just posted that because I believed that since this was all javascript (and possibly not his own too!), it wasnā€™t exactly a candidate for a Thunkable WDCā€¦ A little bit of javascript to add extended functionality and features is great, but not when using just a web-viewer and web-development code for a WDC thatā€™s in fact intended to showcase what you can make using Thunkable (and not just a web viewer). Iā€™ve deleted my post because I never intended for anyone who reads it to feel that JavaScript is absolutely out of the question. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the fact that Thunkable + JavaScript makes a cool combo. Iā€™d love to be a better JS developer, too- so far I barely know how to change the text of a label. Thanks for pointing it out! Once again, I never intended for it to be take the wrong way and whoever read my post, please donā€™t think you canā€™t use JavaScript. Just make sure that you use it alongside Thunkable components.

5 Likes

Can we make a word app which determines the word is palindrome or not

1 Like

You can build anything you want to! I like to look at the WDC brief as a guideline, not as rules. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So I Can post my app here ?? @catsarisky

Iā€™m not in charge, @rapid ! :slight_smile:

I think (but this is just my opinion) that if the WDC brief has inspired you to build it, posting it here is fine! :slight_smile: But post it somewhere! Now Iā€™m interested to see how you made a game out of finding palindromes!

2 Likes

I totally understood what you meant - that ONLY using a webviewer around some other content isnā€™t really doing the WDC ā€“ but I didnā€™t want a newer user to think that webviewer was forbidden or something! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay I have to do more designing I will post today of tommorow !! Thank you maā€™am @catsarisky

2 Likes

Fine, Tell me the full form of WDC as i am new here!!

I donā€™t see a really specific set of rules or guidelines for the WDC, so Iā€™ll tell you my impression of what the rules are. I hope some of the other regular WDC participants will also chime in and help improve this answer, so that it more fully reflects the opinion of the community, not just my opinion.

Major reasons & goals for participating: (mine personally, yours might be different!)

• Learn something new about Thunkable / develop new Thunkable skills
  • Get inspired by other projects
  • Push the limits for what I can do with Thunkable / what Thunkable can do
  • Motivation to build something that I might otherwise not have built
  • WDC challenges tend to be short, so I can knock one out in a day or two, and Iā€™m done before I get bored.

"Rules" (but rules are meant to be broken, so more like guidelines)

• Have fun.
  • Learn something.
  • Build something that responds to the brief posted by @domhnallohanlon , but donā€™t be afraid to do something a little different, ignore part of it, or whatever else makes it fun for you.
  • Itā€™s a ā€œWeekendā€ design challenge, so try to be done by Monday. Or Tuesday. Or Thursday. Really, if youā€™re still having fun building your app, youā€™re welcome to keep going with it as long as you like! Just donā€™t be surprised if Dom summarizes the posts and everyone moves on to the next WDC.
  • This is the Thunkable Community, so people will expect your WDC entry to use Thunkable in a significant way ā€“ not just to display a webpage. But donā€™t feel too limited by this ā€“ lots of submissions have used some Javacript in a webviewer, or an API call, or a some Google Sheets trickery, or whatever. Those are all perfectly fine, and I like learning how folks have extended Thunkable to make it do new and interesting stuff!
  • Say something about your submission - whatā€™d you do that was new/different/interesting/challenging/whatever? Thatā€™s a great place to give credit if you used or remixed someone elseā€™s code, too.

Final thought: I think the ā€œCā€ in WDC is Challenge, not Competition. I hope this is a friendly place for novice builders and more experienced folks, both. If youā€™re having fun and getting better at Thunkable, youā€™re doing it right!

8 Likes

Okay thank you today i will post today

1 Like

Hey all @overturner here.
Iā€™m back with my new WDC submission.
Its called ā€œFunzoneā€ (I would have to work on the name :slight_smile: )

This is the first time I have extensively worked with the text blocks so I hope my app is good :grinning:

I started working on my submission when @domhnallohanlon posted for voting- so I have 1 essential part of my game and 2 additional parts. :smile_cat:

Guess The Word
This game consists of two APIā€™s - one is a random word generator and one is a word info API. I used the random word generator API to get the word and the info API to get the definition and synonyms. So this essentially translates into a spelling bee app (without the word)

Guess The Word Remix
This game is a bit easier to play with only a few letters missing in the word.

A RPS(Rock Paper Scissors)
This game was pretty easy to code - it has two opponents - computer and you. You can play this simple game anytime you want to.

What I would like to include in future :

1. A leaderboard page
  2. Timed Games
  3. A Profile Page to view My personal high scores etc.
  4. Badges
  5. Improve the User Interface
  6. Pictorial representation of wrong guesses

Thanks
Big shout out to @catsarisky for helping me out with my problems. :partying_face:

Looking forward to your feedback on my app.

My App Details :
App Link

Blocks
Guess The Word : 236 Blocks
Guess The Word Remix : 56 Blocks
Rock Paper Scissors : 107
Total : 399 Blocks

Credits
Icons Taken From

4 Likes