🎮 WDC #26 Can you make your own "Wordle" game in Thunkable?

It’s the daily word game that has taken the internet by storm, and this week your challenge is to recreate the viral sensation that is Wordle.

A number of folks in the Community are already playing so if you want to share your score then head over here.

Our very own @jared has been sharing progress updates over on Twitter:

The Challenge

• Users get 6 attempts to guess a 5 letter word.
  • Letters that are in the word, but in the wrong place are coloured in yellow,
  • Letters in the word and in the correct place are coloured in green.
  • If a letter is not in the word is stays grey.
  • (Remind anyone else of WDC #24?)

Once you have the basic functionality dialled in there’s so much you can do in terms of additional functionality - change the number of guesses, change the length of the words, add a timer for fastest guessers…so much to choose from and happy to hear your suggestions too.

As always, good luck!

Update:

To help get you up and running as quickly as possible we’ve shared some resources that are free to reuse here:

10 Likes

Summary of Entries

Wordle by @manyone

Griddle by @codeswept

Word by @rishabh_jain

Honourable mention to @rishabh_jain for participating in their first challenge!

Work in Progress

Anyone else still working on their projects? @tatiang, @sketch, @jared, @domhnallohanlon… @muneer??

6 Likes

I was hoping to make a version myself… glad it’s a WDC!

7 Likes

We’re glad you’re glad :slight_smile: Hoping to see a lot of entries!

FYI: @muneer @kartik14 @manyone @unsalberkay1905cfbe @mimostel @eoinparkinson @sketch @jakeheron

6 Likes

Loving the clone features of the Snap to Place interface right now!

Here’s what I have… I start with two buttons, clone 'em a whole bunch and then use some text blocks and math to check each letter against the secret word.

Next, I have to figure out if the second row will function like the first and check for a correct answer (all green) and also stop when the player runs out of rows.

8 Likes

The nice thing about dynamic design is that when i realized I needed a keyboard that uses QWERTY format, it took about 3 seconds to fix it.

(I still need to delete the blank keys after the Z and make proper keyboard rows.)

5 Likes

Making some good progress!

Updates: added the emojis, fixed the keyboard, added backspace button

7 Likes

that’s amazing! and awesome!

i’ve got a “working” version, except it doesn’t have the keyboard. so you’ll have to enter your guess by hand and rely on your memory for checking unused letters. (warning the target words - i took 500 - are hard - many of them have doubled letters, like BOOBS, etc) but it’s playable to the end . it even includes a word check against an online dictionary.

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/68d1f63c3babddc85bf8af3e695ea961

7 Likes

Amazing progress - this looks fantastic @tatiang!

Great stuff @manyone - can confirm that the dictionary works properly too :joy:

5 Likes

What a coincidence !!
From many days I was thinking to make an app of word game !
Thank you !! Domhnall O’ Hanlon
For creating this WDC

4 Likes

Looks great! Could you share the project page please? I’m out of projects.

2 Likes

Also, which API have you used? I’m in the last leg of my app but I’m unable to check whether words are valid or not.

1 Like

Ok, here’s my WORDLE, which I’ve named GRIDDLE because Wordle is basically a riddle in a grid.
I haven’t gotten my word-validation working yet, though.

PLAY IT HERE: Thunkable

7 Likes

Wow, clean interface. I like it.

3 Likes

Thank you :grinning: Just added the project link.

4 Likes

sorry i just sat in front of my pc - heres the project page:
https://x.thunkable.com/projects/61f1aab7f76ec20011d462a4/8fffd70a-6426-4063-9596-1fbf05935933/designer

4 Likes

@codeswept, this looks soooo good!

2 Likes

i get “error copying shared project via link”?

3 Likes