This week we have a fun one for you all! I spotted a neat game on dev.to by Shailesh Parmar. In the past, Shailesh has built clones of WhatsApp, Spotify and Netflix himself so I thought it would be cool if we used one of his apps for inspiration this week.
What do think - can you recreate his Memory Game?
You can try this game out for yourself here:
This is one of those projects that you could probably spend months on but here are a couple of features I spotted that you might incorporate into your project:
- Ask the user for their name on Screen1 and greet them by name on Screen2
- The animation component does have a click event handler, but you could just as easily use buttons here.
- Figuring out if that cards are a pair is one challenge
- Creating a randomly distributed board of cards is another challenge entirely
- I really like the “congrats” gif when the game is completed
- You can add difficulty levels, count the number of moves, track the time taken to complete a board, set a time to complete each board in, add in a points system, move up to a harder board after an easier on is completed…the list goes on and on here, and all of that is before you’ve even picked your colour. scheme, a theme for your cards, icons etc etc.
I’m going to try to submit an entry myself again this weekend but I’m also delighted to announce that @jane will be joining us as a “Special Guest Thunker” for this particular challenge too!
Best of luck to everyone and, as always, really looking forward to seeing all the creative ideas you come up with!