šŸŽØ WDC #9 Can you re-create Shailesh's Memory Game App?

Could you tell me how to find a more faster and more efficient way??

I thought you were referring to what @catsarisky posted, which already is an efficient method.

What exactly are you trying to do?

I didnā€™t complete the feature I wanted toā€¦ where when you match a card, it becomes a puzzle piece that you maneuver into place. Instead, this auto-places the piece for you.

MEMORZZLE

Web app (playable demo):

https://thunkable.site/w/Z4QOmMbPB

Project:

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/e2f39aef83ef2662cfc2f0e58bbfcd58

5 Likes

This is such a cool idea. Itā€™s an interesting memory challenge - how do I remember a little piece of a picture?

I like how you use the zz of the name in the level names, too. I really like the ui and color scheme.

You already know you need to lock out button pressing - if you do decide to do more with the app, be sure to check that the user hasnā€™t pushed the same button twice. My beta testers (kids) found that bug for me early on. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ooohā€¦ good point about pressing the same button twice. Iā€™ll have to consider that. Thanks!

Updated links coming in a moment to my post aboveā€¦

Hope everyone had a fun weekend working on this challenge - yesterday was a holiday in Ireland so weā€™re just getting this one wrapped up today.

Just following up on the poll from last week, wanted to give a gentle reminder to @jared @Chris @aanshi6 @muhaeminz (and maybe @skulamester :joy:) to share a link, if you have one, and even if itā€™s only half finished!

Obviously thereā€™s no obligation to submit an entry, but just in case anyone thought they had ā€œrun out of timeā€ itā€™s still cool if you want to post about it today.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Hereā€™s my version of the app!
(Edit: and now it is public so you can actually see it!)

Unsurprisingly, I made an app where you have to match Thunkable beavers :grin:

I donā€™t have levels like other people do, but I think I implemented the logic of the game in a very tidy manner: 128 blocks on the gameplay screen, and the buttons will shuffle every time you play.

I got around the issue of people clicking through cards too quickly by disabling other buttons while the user views the two cards they have flipped.

I think recording the amount of turns taken is also fun, even though luck can affect that as much as skill!

1 Like

Your project is private, Jane. :slight_smile:
Iā€™m interested to see it especially because I have 2x your blocks on the gameplay screen.

1 Like

well i was really late as i reworked on my app again so i changed all concept and turned it into some iq , riddle testā€¦
hmm i will have to see my free time for next weekend as i was busy due to school work
i will share my app with you all in community only so lets wait for mine.
keep thunking

Absolutely - itā€™s great to see how everyone interprets the brief!

Ok - hereā€™s what I have as of this afternoon:

https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/606749b9ac2c0c00121ba921

So the app itself proved to be a nice challenge - for the sake of time I just went with the bare minimum of 8 cards (4 pairs). Liberal use of the Thunkable beaver was inspired by Janeā€™s project (it was great to have someone to bounce ideas off this week!) and Iā€™ve been thinking about a monochrome colour scheme since seeing @catsariskyā€™s quote gallery app last week so the main thing I wanted to accomplish with is was to enable a ā€œDark Modeā€ in my project.

To be honest, Iā€™m quite please with my efforts here.

Iā€™m using a primary colour, secondary colour, accent colour and two images for light mode and dark mode.

Earlier on in the week I was speaking with a user who wanted to create a ā€œwhite labelā€ app of sorts and then theme it to more closely match the brand identity of their clients, so hopefully by doing this all through the blocks it should be much more similar to having a style sheet for your app.

There are definitely a couple of bugs - and I think there are a chunk of blocks in there too that Iā€™m not using anymore - but Iā€™ll tidy it up and post about it over in #shareyourprojects later this week!

Thanks for the feedback (me too!) Iā€™ll try drop a hint tomorrow or Thursday to give you all as much notice as possible.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, @catsarisky :grin:

The project is public now, so please check it out and let me know what you think!

2 Likes

@tatiang I was looking for an extremely fast way like @jane 's app

2 Likes

Thanks Jane! Iā€™m looking forward to checking it out.

I did notice that I can click the same tile twice in yours, so that may be some of the block savings. (I think that error got everyone initially!)

1 Like

I wrote my name in Arabic.

This is the result of trying your game.

2 Likes

Wow @jane ! Your code is so tidyā€¦ it took me a lot of struggle and many, many blocks to get to mine!

3 Likes

Thanks @muneer - what would the expected result of combining Latin and Arabic alphabets like this be?

1 Like

Youā€™re right, I added an if block to prevent that - 132 blocks now!

laughs You win hands-down for fewest blocks. Iā€™m at 249.

Iā€™d claim itā€™s because Iā€™ve got multiple different levels and so a lot more variables, but umā€¦ thatā€™s not all of it!

Will be staring at my blocks tonight to see if I can trim furtherā€¦

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/1fed8256f1faade36d30e658d2549817

1 Like

Actually, I expected to not show but the name showed clear without breaks in between the Arabic characters. :+1:

1 Like

259 blocks for my gameplay screen. Hard to do it with less!