Using the web viewer on Xiaomi device

Regarding all application crashes - The reason is not just the web review. From 14.06.2021 I have sent information to the staff of Thunкable. Being a PRO user is not very important to them, because I still don’t have any answer. I gave them everything I found as reasons, including sharing two projects with them. Today is 13.07.2021 and they haven’t even read me the latest update on the subject. Please all users - Stop giving advice on how to work around the BUGS. Let the staff get into a role and start fixing bugs. There is still a bug that was reported 2 years ago and has not been fixed. Since we all go around it, none of the staff bothered to remove it. This will happen now.
To the staff:
Show respect to your users. Will this be your service in the future?

3 Likes

This is a demo video that clearly shows how the application crashes when navigating to a blank screen:

2 Likes

Hi there,

What does your Console look like when running a preview in Thunkable?

I hear you, @Balanced_Kitchen . I’m frustrated by the bugs, too. And by being offered a “we might have fixed it, try it now” reply a month after I raised the problem. It’d be great if Thunkable programmers fixed issues more swiftly once they’re identified. It’d also be great if there were more testing of new code before it gets deployed to everyone, so that new bugs are not accidentally introduced. Unfortunately, those two things are opposed to each other. Do we want cool new features and existing problems fixed swiftly, or do we want slow and deliberate and thoroughly tested releases?

Having said all that, I think of a user who is currently dealing with a bug/deficiency in Thunkable, discovered after dozens or hundreds of hours of development work already spent. Knowing that these forums are probably that user’s best bet for getting help working around the bug, do I not help, in hopes that somehow that will cause Thunkable programmers to get the bug fixed, or support staff to step in and help the user? The rate of Thunkable improvements will not go up if Thunkable loses paid users who are stuck on a bug they don’t know how to work around. Fewer paying users = fewer programmers = fewer bugs fixed.

6 Likes

Everyone here brings up perfectly good points. I feel it would be really cool if Thunkable introduced a public Beta program where Thunkers could test the new features. On that note, as a new Thunkable user who has been using this forum a lot in the past 2 weeks, the input of others is extremely helpful as it allows us to run tests against each other, allowing us to give more accurate reports to the staff. It would also be cool if there was a way to get volunteers involved so they could help more quickly identify issues and fixes in code, and then deliver that information to Staff. Does anyone else have suggestions on actions to help Thunkable speed up the process?

5 Likes

I’d definitely like to see Thunkable have two separate branches (whole system - designer AND build servers). One bleeding edge and one “stable”. It’s tough when something gets broken and as a user, there’s no way for me to say “let’s use last week’s build server, from when everything was fine!”

6 Likes

We are glad that other users think like me. But why didn’t any of the staff share an opinion? They haven’t even read the topic!

3 Likes

I found what is causing the problem in the video example. I don’t know if Thuncable’s staff is working on fixing bugs with the web viewer, so keep in mind that in the example, the crash is caused by the fact that I’m using a web viewer on the first screen that has a loaded url. If I remove the url address before going to the next screen, my project does not crash.

3 Likes

Is this a normal working URL?
I’ve noticed crashing in some phone models but not all if I use about:blank in place of the URL.

1 Like

Yes normal working url. I delete the url to go to the next screen. Then the project does not collapse.

Is either page in a navigator?

Yes

I spent couple of hours to debug a problem in one of the projects and found out something unusual. Some of my screens only the Screen Opens work and other screens only the Screen Starts work. Normal screens and no navigator. Any of you faced this?

[Update]
I made a change in the “Search Data Viewer Example”
https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/600c35d2f153060012143dc8

I’m filling the local table at the start of the app and I placed the function that does this in both the Starts and Opens events with a counter to the number of rows in the table which should say 11.

In the Live App in the phone is displays 11 because only on the event runs

But in the Web Preview the number is doubled because both events are fired.

I found another anomaly and I would very much like to know which devices are affected. All that are on android 9 or just Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 pro. This api project (Thunkable) works on all devices except the above. The result after execution is for (status> nothing), and for (error> Network request failed). After much searching for the reason, I found that for Web Viewer in the system settings by default is Chrome, and Android Web Viewer is disabled. To activate it I had to deactivate Chrome. Can anyone do tests with another device that is on Android 9. I want to know if this is only a problem for Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 pro or for everyone with Android 9

1 Like

I just tested it on Huawei Android 9.

3 Likes

Thanks! Obviously the problem is with the device itself

3 Likes

@Balanced_Kitchen I had the same issue on S8. See: Web API Error on Android: Network request failed

I have the solution, you need to add the header on the properties panel of your Web API:

1 Like

In my case, I think it’s impossible. My Content-Type: application / json. I’m not sure that two different Content-Type parameters can be set.

Well, the point is that you have to add your Content-Type on the Properties panel, not in the code. That way it works for me.

1 Like

This was the first test I did. In my case it did not help for the mentioned device. For him, the only solution is to enable Android Web Viewer and disable Chrome. @muneer do you have Chrome installed on your device?

1 Like