Live Test on Device Keeps Asking for New Codes and Doesn't Reflect Changes

Every time I click “Live Test on Device” in the editor I get asked for a code (even if I’ve logged into “Thunakble Live” on my phone with Gmail or a code already). However, the only time I get a code on my phone is when I’m logged out and then I log back in via the “Email sign in - Generate test code” option. And, the only time changes to the app are reflected on the phone is on first login to the “Thunkable Live” app after re-installing it.

e.g.

1. Install Thunkable Live app
  2. Click “Live Test on Device” and get prompted for a code
  3. Log in with “Email sign in - Generate test code” on phone and enter code in web editor
  4. App works on phone as expected
  5. Change app in web editor and click “Live Test on Device” and get prompted for a code
  6. No code is seen on phone
  7. Log out on phone and log back in via “Email sign in - Generate test code”
  8. Changes to app in web editor are not seen on phone–old version runs

Similar results are seen when using Gmail to log in on phone.

Test Environment:
Samsung Galaxy S23, Android Version 13, Sept 1 2023 Android Security Patch Level
Thunkable Live v434-2
Tested on both Firefox and Chromium

Hi, @user829 Welcome to the community!
You did an amazing job asking your question! Clearly you probably checked out these links on how to post, if you haven’t, look here: How to ask Great Questions v2.0 + Community Guidelines

1. If your Thunkable account is google based, just log into your google account on the Live App. You will see your projects (apps) in a list. Click on the one you want to test and the test it! (You do NOT need to press the “Live Test on Device” button if your testing with google. You just need to log onto the same google account you use for Thunkable projects, on your Live App).

2 hours later: Man I didn’t read this 100% correctly!

1. Here’s some more info on the real-time changes:
  1. You just need to have a good internet connection to see your code on your phone, and sometimes if you change the code on your phone, it may not save on your project, so its best (and probably easier) to do it on computer.

Thanks @martint for pointing this out.

Thanks @emlee703 it is mostly working now but sometimes it will still get “stuck” (i.e. changes on laptop won’t show up on phone). Maybe the cause is network instability on my end (but that doesn’t seem likely). Either way it would be nice if there was some feedback in the web editor to show when the phone connection is active/disabled/broken. It might be more clear if that state was reflected in the “live test on device” button so when you press it with an already-active connection you don’t get prompted for a code again (and the button could change its color and mouse over message depending on connection state). When the phone is connected but changes aren’t showing up on the phone, getting prompted for a code again is misleading (makes it look like an authentication issue instead of possibly a connection issue). Anyways, I hope those are useful suggestions, thanks!

@user829 Yeah. It’s a known bug. Do you lose connection when your phone screens turn off, or when you keep the app open in the background, and then open another app? Thats what happens to me. The live app is connected to my project, as long as I stay on the Thunkable Live App, and my screen remains on. Are you experiencing this to?