Introducing the Thunkable Gallery & Thunkable PRO

This is turning into a discussion war, let’s wrap it up and turn the volume down a bit.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! :smiley:
Daemn

I started making apps in Thunkable in 2015, a few months after it was created
I loved it as it had lots of new components compared to AppInventor, and well, I couldn’t pay AppyBuilder’s subscription. And what it’s more important: they had Material Design, something that was what made me change here

But with the past of the time, I was seeing how Thunkable team was “forgetting” about the community, and became much less active and listening less to the users
I think that was something which hurts users, and they started looking for alternatives

During the pass of the months (and years), their competitors became much stronger, offering new features for their apps and a better service for them, while Thunkable didn’t because they were focused on the iOS version

And when they released the iOS version (and Thunkable X), some users weren’t happy as they expected more due to the lack of possibilities with it
I know that is hard to make a system like that, but I think the big mistake was to dedicate so many efforts to it, create too much hype and forgetting they had app.thunkable.com

I’m one of the first users who signed up in this community (ID 12), and I’m now a moderator, Power Thunker, and I was during quite a long time TOP1 of most liked user
I think that only a few people who commented here saw Thunkable grow how we’ve done it, and how it was changed

To be honest, the decision of “deprecating” Thunkable Classic doesn’t surprise me
It could be seen for a long time ago, as the team focused a lot on Thunkable X, and especially the iOS version. No “big” updates to Classic, no “big” announcements for it, only to Thunkable X

I have several projects on Thunkable Classic
What to do now?
Just have to download them and place in a “Museum” folder, as I will never be able to make them run due to the incompatibilities

Even if I’m no longer as active as I was in the past here, it makes me sad
Thunkable is the platform where I found my passion for coding and where I met fantastic partners (Conor, Mika, Sander, Pavitra, Vishwas and Sivagiri) who helped in my biggest project which now is something more than a project
Without Thunkable I couldn’t be what I am now, and that’s something I will never forget

But I think unmaintaining Thunkable Classic will be good for the team
I mean, keeping two platforms needs efforts (and money). During these days lots of users (like me) will share their opinions against this choice, but, in the future, this will be forgotten
Thunkable will be able to focus on a unique platform and make it stronger

What do I think about the 20$/month price?
It’s too high

As @Mika pointed out, target users from Thunkable are students, and as students, they can’t afford such money, because most of them just use Thunkable for fun
Unless they release an education plan or something, I don’t think people will buy it

And also, only paying to keep my projects private?
I don’t think it will be worthy that price
As other users pointed out, maybe Thunkable should add a few more features to the paid plan

P.S.: Sorry for my long reply, but I wanted to really share what I think about this as I have a big affection to Thunkable :sweat_smile:

16 Likes

Agree with @Barreeeiroo, it’s been a long run. I remember when I came to this community. It was really like a pleased experience, in fact, it was one of the first communities where I was active and where I actually contributed. You know, my first post was in @pavi2410 IAP extension :blush:, where I thanked him for amazing work and asked for an upgraded battery manager extension. The community wasn’t so big? There were a lot of amazing people. Questions weren’t so dumb :smile:, 2-3 questions a day? I remember logging over to Thunkable after the high school and just reading every single post, I missed. Every single reply, every single new user. If not Thunkable, I would probably never have met people that had same mind, that were students with innovative ideas, programming skills and just their kindness. As well, I remember making Templates topic. My most popular post, that became the top post of the year for a long period of time. So, I’m not sure if this is an end or this is just a beginning of something bigger, but what I know for sure, is that I am so thankful for the Thunkable, the community and the entire App Inventor family. For a fact, my life would have been extremely different without the community. Hearing that it’s end for the Thunkable is sad, I mean I still use it for every single demo of my extension. So, I would like to thank now. Thank you for the amazing platform, thank you for the community, people (Diego, Peter, Italio, Sander, Mika, Pavitra, Conor, Sivagiri, Vishwas, Nathan, Domhnall and all of the community and people I haven’t mentioned). Thank you for helping me to become an extension developer. Thank you for everything. I am so happy for being a part of this family.

Goodbye Thunkable, I hope to see you evolve and continue your way. Thank you for letting me be a part of this. My name says it all :heart:

10 Likes

If you guys have been able to hold an ecosystem the way it has been on for the last years and successfully bring more users with the ideology that it was taken when firstly was built Thunkable, a platform available to build apps instead of paying for it… you should keep this ideology in mind for future plans saying this all I want to say is Good bye Thunkable.

@ILoveThunkable I totally agree. On this one :

TO ALL USERS : Please make a list of things you want or do not want in a chill format (do not attack or be mean) and I’ll try to make a synthesis and send it to the team so they can consider the best solutions for everyone. It is not done yet but we need to discuss not to kick each other. Thank you

Opinions are welcome

Sorry to say, but I’m getting really annoyed and sick by your replys to everything, how old are you and you answer and write as you’ve been here since the beginning? I have 2 accounts and been here for 1 year, and even I see how stupid this decision with PRO is. I’ve been innactive since june cuz of the summer, and now I wanted to get started again with Thunking, and the first thing I see is a new user I’ve never seen before answering almost every post in here with an attitude I’ve never seen, I first though you were trolling, but I think you just want to try getting “in bed” with the leaders!

But I like this suggestion from Italo:

I would gladly pay 1$ for each app I start creating, if that’s what Italo’s suggesting. And I would also pay 1$ for making it published. With enough users with this low cost, I don’t think thunkable is going to get broke! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just trying to make things go better, not like you obviously. But whatever, just don’t go with me. I’ll ignore you and you’ll do the same. Works for me. I’m not thinking like you but it doesn’t give you the right to talk like this. Also, I joined in september 2017.

Have a nice day :blush:

Pardon me for not having a look at your profile before posting and making accusation for you to be new here. I’ve just not seen your name before when I was active.
Ignore me? Are you 10yo? I’m not ignoring anyone, I also want Thunkable to be better, AND I like the X, but like everyone else I feel that the price of 20$ month or 100$ year is way to much! I do get to have a say since I also use this builder!

And you should not think that when people write a “negative” post they are attacking the leaders/team. I think it’s a good way to make a statment of what users think in this matter so that the leaders might consider a new strategy! It’s not like the leaders have made this a choice here, that’s why everyone is so upset, except you.

And announcing shutdown already of the classic is also something they should not do yet, not until they KNOW how or when to convert classic projects to X. Or else everyone is forced to make the apps they already have to start over from scratch with X.

I’m not attacking you, I’m just saying how I feel about you and your activity here since I’ve been back a few days ago. I’ve also seen your good side with helping other thunkers, good job :+1: But I don’t like the way you answer everyone that they are “disrespecting” the team, just because they give a statement of what they feel about this case.

Have a nice day you to :wink:

1 Like

I’d like to add Mark’s post which gives a bit of explanations : Welcome to Thunkable Pro (rant)

Nice day all ! :slight_smile:

I believe the major reason why Thunkable X fails miserably is because they are trying really hard to support Android and iOS both at the same time. I don’t think the team made a good move announcing their decision NOW, considering there are still VERY IMPORTANT FEATURES that need to be integrated into the X (Extension Upload Support, Custom Font Files, etc). I just don’t understand why the Thunkable team keeps taking about the BIG STUFF such as Blockchain, when they haven’t yet implemented some basics.

I really like the idea of dedicating Thunkable Classic to Android and Thunkable X for iOS. As for the team not providing support for Thunkable Classic Anymore, Maybe it’s time you started to hire Devs from the community who really care about Thunkable Classic. I’ve seen some Amazing Extension Developers who are dedicated in serving this community, and who have really put in their effort to make Android App development a Fun Journey.

I’m not sure if you’re aware of it but there are a lot of people from across the world who have GROWN TOGETHER with This platform. Who have seen magic the first time their app came to life on their phone. Who felt pure joy when they helped someone else with a bug. Now this was way before X was even born. This was the REAL THUNKABLE. Saying that you won’t be looking after it anymore cause we want to try what it feels like to be a business model is Saddening.

I would suggest you to maintain 2 different platforms for iOS and Android. Or else Hire devs who really care about developing Thunkable Classic. Saying that you would stop providing support for Thunkable Classic is a REALLY good way to migrate Users to other Platforms. As for Thunkable X, I would rather buy extensions from Devs and Make my own BLOCKCHAIN APP using Thunkable Classic, rather than make it in a system that Tries Too Hard.

– Another User who almost had a Heart Attack when he read the Announcement!

1 Like

@amrita
Very very disappointed
I started with x it has
very less components
very less YT tutorials
I was in forceful position to use classic and now when I am having fun why are you taking away
You said to think and then thunk I have started thinking it’s too early don’t make me stop thunking
Please don’t take away anything in 2019 or ever
Adding is your call

1 Like

Good news for X
Bad news for Classic

What will happens when app inventor will release their IOS platform ?

Let’s transfer all my classic projects to Makeroid…

1 Like

if only its possible and will be compatible why not.

Some works/changes to do…

This also makes it impossible to use api and other services since most of the providers have in their policy that the api key/service key cant be shared.

1 Like
1 Like

I think this i correct. Because Thunk and App Inventor is school platform. You have the chance to learn and write app. If you want to be private that is because you want to make money with your app. Then you/we should pay for the hard work of this great team. He give us a change to do that. Other platform has from start a way to pay for make app. Because always is a free way, buy is limited. Maybe can make a way to be free limited. Thank you for me to have a chance to learn a make a great app.
Regards, CG

1 Like

@amrita

I bet you will not stop Thunkable Classic… if you do it. All Thunkable users will switch in a snap to other platforms. I think this is just a strategy to force users to move on thunkable x platform with 20$ else public - people learning will make the public app. If they have idea they will make android app first see how it makes earnings - which is possible with other builders (ai2, makeroid & appybuilder) for free… why they will try X- cross platform for paid. You should come up will great strategy to SELL X. This idea is going to fail badly and your team will regret.

Best
Zama

2 Likes

Thunkable Classic is being terminated??? Will it even be archived? I have used it for two years because I have regarded it as the best materialistic App Inventor app platform, and now you’re going to throw it all away??? Keep it in archive at least for people to still use! Thunkable X is trash, if I say so bluntly. There’s no extensions, you can’t build large applications, etc. it’s just so bad. And to think you are throwing you’re hard work on Thunkable Classic away!!! I will no longer use Thunkable if this is happening! @thunkable

1 Like