🎨 WDC #11 Can you re-create David's X for Y Idea Generator?

Last week was the biggest #wdc yet - thank you so much to all the new and returning users who made it such a great challenge! If you haven’t seen them yet, please check out all the entries here (and don’t forget to leave a “like” on the posts from the awesome Community members who developed them!)

This week the idea is to build an idea generator

What’s an Idea Generator?

Great question! There are plenty of idea generator apps and sites out there but one of my favourites is David Newell’s “X for Y Idea Generator” which launched for fun on #product-hunt last year.

The idea is that you have a product for audience model that randomly generates new ideas for apps/businesses.

I really enjoyed creating a version of this for Social Enterprises during a Tech for Good event last month and wanted to see what sort of designs and ideas the Community can come up with. (bonus points if anyone can come up with an “Ideas for WeekendDesignChallenges” app :joy: )

Other Examples

Feel free to find other designs and apps that are out there already, but here’s one from Hubspot for generating ideas for blog post titles:

and another one for generating ideas movie scripts:

And in interesting one for coming up with startup ideas:
https://andrewchen.com/x-for-y-startup-ideas/

I think there should be inspiration out there for some really interesting and individual designs and that from a blocks perspective it should be easy enough to get a quick MVP put together but still challenging enough to layer some native mobile app features on top of.

Best of luck!

Notification Squad

Tagging folks who have been following the challenges over the past couple of weeks, thank you for helping us spread the word!

@luv.ak.tech @manyone @roumak-coder @kartik14 @thg @tatiang @muhaeminz @krithikvasan6m1 @aanshi6 @jared @Chris @skulamester @muneer @cyberdriver @catsarisky @codeswept @codeemaker @eko.devs.apploroceo @japa6225a @jared @Chris @aanshi6 @muhaeminz @skulamester @jane @goutham @jmcmullan @Power_Thunkers @Joannie_Huang

5 Likes

Summary of Entries

1. Terrible WDC Ideas by @catsarisky

2. Pick-A-Party by @tatiang

3. Idea Generator by @codeemaker

4. X and Y Idea Generator by @luv.ak.tech

5. App of Jobs by @manyone

6. Cine-BAAH by @codeswept

7. Story Generator by @human

8. Language Cubes by @domhnallohanlon

4 Likes

Oh sweet! This seems like a good one for getting your feet wet working with data sources.

4 Likes

nice…btw ryan air is my favorite airline(just like that)
figma one of the best tools…
but this challenge seems confusing

2 Likes

Let me know if there’s anything I can clarify here for you @eko.devs.apploroceo

1 Like

is it like canvas game or maths or neurllink?..

@eko.devs.apploroceo

It’s for brainstorming. For coming up with new ideas. Let’s say you wanted to create a company that would help people but you didn’t know what kind of company to make.

You could have an idea generator that would display random ideas such as:

Build houses for        the homeless
Build houses for        veterans
Deliver prescription medicine to        the homeless
Deliver prescription medicine to        veterans
Provide free business classes for         single mothers
Provide free business classes for         released prisoners

The left side would be one randomized item and the right side would be another randomized item

3 Likes

oh :grinning: i got it like some startup idea app? right

3 Likes

OK, possibly the silliest thing I’ve done this week, an hour late on a Friday night:

Web view: thunkablecompanion

Remixers welcome: Thunkable

You should definitely experiment with the function of both buttons on the second screen. Then you should delete your draft rather than spamming Dom’s inbox. Sorry @domhnallohanlon, but my sense of humor sometimes veers towards wicked.

5 Likes

so finnally i decided to make ann app where ppl can come and search the companies where they can find their companies and apply for a job

1 Like

Oh this is brilliant @catsarisky! :joy:

I think “Poodle Doodles” might just have to be the challenge next week!! Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Pick-A-Party

Why? Because everybody needs a little help sometimes picking a fun theme for a kid’s birthday party!

Web App (demo): https://thunkable.site/w/p7Z7Qw9L8

Thunkable Project: Thunkable

4 Likes

I love the “Tell Dom” button. Such a fun idea! I was tempted to send a few…:upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Pure genius @catsarisky !

Uh oh… You can cross me off next week’s challenge🤣

3 Likes

Great app. sleek dark design.

5 Likes

this is a nice challenge!

That was the part that took longest. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@catsarisky how did you do that??

1 Like

@catsarisky I have been looking everywhere for a way to initialize a Thunkable Community DM from within an app. Earlier, I was looking at webhooks and APIs, but even when I tried, I couldn’t find any particular URL pattern I could use with ‘open link’. Thanks for helping with that!

4 Likes

For @codeswept and @codeemaker , well, I knew it was a discourse-powered forum, so I googled, and I guess my Google-Fu was pretty strong last night. :slight_smile:

4 Likes