Upcoming improvements to the Android build system

Hi,
I find it unacceptable to have to wait 10 to 20 minutes to receive my android app knowing that before I had 2 minutes to transfer it to my device. The problem is that there is a queue.

I find the system slow, is there any advantage to being a pro member with the queue?

Hey @sathishagpala, tried your email link and it downloaded and installed fine for me - can you try again please?

@kushweez so there’s actually two important parts here:

The initial build will take the longest, as it’s a new app being created. As you ship updates the build times will be significantly shorter.

This was really the main reason for this update - at peak times some users didn’t get their apps at all (they closed their browsers) and we weren’t able to give an ETA when an app was downloaded. With the new system builds will complete and be emailed out, so even at peak times you can leave your app in the que and it will be build and sent to you.

It’s the same as iOS builds, PRO uses get priority over free users (you just get to wait in a shorter que)

2 Likes

Hey @domhnallohanlon in MIT App Inventor it takes like 30 seconds to build the apk and download it even if other people are trying to build their apps so why does it take a long time to download in thunkable ??? :roll_eyes:

@domhnallohanlon hi,

Ok, it’s true that on other services the app build is very fast but they don’t do ios and Android in general.

I would have thought of a system where you use our cloud and that on the thunkable live app we can get the apk directly as if thunkable live was used to test the app and cloud to get our apps.

But the system has been done differently.

Thanks

Our (Android) build requests have been growing over the years. We are looking a cost-effective way to handle the build requests while we can keep the free services to our users.

The build itself takes couple minutes and we will add more build servers going forward to reduce the wait time further.

Wei

We are using powerful machines in the cloud to build the Android apk :slight_smile:

1 Like

well i hope it isn’t like taking 4 hours

and

:heart_decoration:

can you please decrease the watermark appearance a bit? like maybe a translucent “made for free with thunkable” at the corner? and will the direct apk downlaod system still be there?

The email link did not work for me when clicking on it.

It tries to open a web page but just closes immediately.

I can get round it by copying the link then pasting it into the browser.

Probably something to do with the phone settings.

Just thought I would mention it in case anyone else gets a similar problem.

I have some doubts, at some point we can put a custom domain name in the web version? And on the other hand, will there be a solution to the screen flickering problem? And finally, is it going to improve the performance of the applications?

Hey @paulbthatsme - I can’t see any record of you Android build in the logs, did you use a different email for this?

Can you forward the email to support@thunkable.com so we can take a closer look at this for you?

Thanks @Vaiper_watafai - this announcement is specifically about the Android build system. Can you give some examples of what you mean by:

They’re the same APKs, just delivered to you in a more convenient way.

As a free platform @craftygamerpro this Thunkable branding is really important to us to support the platform and continue growing our user base.

If you feel that you would prefer an white-label version of your app then this is an option available to PRO members.

Let me know if you have any questions in relation to membership.

1 Like

hi domhnallohanlon, thanks for answering my question is if the performance of the application will improve, because my applications that I have are very slow, they get stuck a bit and I don’t have many blocks, also another problem is that the screen flickers, I am a professional member and I thought that there would be a change being pro, but it is still slow
here is an example of how the screen

on the home screen it only has 394 blocks

7 posts were split to a new topic: [Solved] Android build error message " "

home screen Build stuck with flash screen, all other link/button doesnot works…App getting crash, but it works in live test work properly…

From the last improvements you made on the platform, the applications crash at a certain point (unspecified when). This happens after installing the device and mostly on Samsung devices.

Hi @Balanced_Kitchen, is this the Live app or your own project when downloaded as an apk?
That type of error on Samsung devices tends to be caused by larger images but we’ll need to track down the actual cause. Could you share more details such as the device you are seeing this on?

1 Like

This happens after it is installed by the apk. It has been tested on the following models: Lenovo A 6010 (no problem). Xiaomi mi 10 pro, Samsung Galaxy A5, S21, note 10 and 20 (have problem). I found this problem after posting the app to Google Play Store.

Thanks for the info @Balanced_Kitchen
Do you happen to have any high resolution resources in your project? Including your icon.
This is not a hard rule but I’ve seen that any images over 720x1200 will crash Xiomi, Samsung and also some Pixel devices.

1 Like

This is the only image (500x375) inside the app. But users can add as url link.nonetworck

Are you seeing errors with just this image? or do the errors appear when users add their own images?

Also, are you not using an icon?