Trouble for share and for pages organization

1 - I just saw that it was possible to share our project. I wanted to know if my students had the possibility of individually downloading the application from their iphone and smartphone so that they could use it just as if it was available on the apple store or the play store?

2- A message warns me that: “This link will expire after 60 days. If downloaded, the 60 day time period will reset.”. Does this mean that students would no longer have access to the app after this period? Or that they couldn’t download and edit it anymore? I do not understand.

3- Last question:
I wonder if it is inconvenient to use multiple different page in the app (20-30 pages) because on MIT app inventor it was problematic. However here I do not see a way like on mit app to organize a page easily with horizontal, lateral, tables … etc.

1 Like

Welcome to Thunkable.

• It seems you are sharing your project which means your students can use the link to copy the project to their individual accounts in Thunkable. Each student then will be able to run the project using the Thunkabe Live app in Android / iPhone.

• The 60 day is the time allowed for others to copy the project to their own accounts. Once copied it will be theirs and each can update / modify it separately and can continue using it being the 60 days, Those who has not used the link within this time period will need a newer link to be able to get a copy of your project. There are other ways to have the project link available without a time limit.

• Thunkable X does not have a limit to the screens ( I assume you mean screens when referring to pages). However, the more pages you have in the project the slower it would run and the more memory it would require. The speed degradation might not be noticeable if the screens has few codes in them.

Hope to have clarified the situation.

@muneer
Perfect thank you. But if they run the project live, does that mean that the students won’t be able to save their progress ??? My application would have students do exercises every week and they would have to pick up where they left off in their progress (thanks to the data on sheet). However I’m afraid it won’t work if it’s done live. Can it still work even if the use is done through live?

Thank you for the screens (and not pages indeed). I have found that we can exploit groups to avoid going from screen to screen.
Is it better to switch from screen to screen or use groups knowing that I would have as many codes in both cases (see more if I stay on the same screen but use groups).

Is it possible to make sure to keep series of blocks in memory (to avoid us having to rewrite them)?

Thank you for your precious help

Save it to where? If you are referring to Google sheet by (thanks to the data on sheet) then this option is available for compiled app on phone but for the project you share, every student will have his/her own copy of the project and would require to connect it to a data source that the student can connect to.

If by done through live you mean to install the app on students’ phones then the answer is yes, it is possible. When the students run the project using the live app on phone, they are actually running their own copy of the project not yours. So in practice, each student is running a different project which happen to be very similar.

Each has it’s merits. The screens are much easier to code but the groups are neater and could make use of block codes that are reusable (having them in functions) and do not need to be replicated within the screen.

Yes it is. Treat them like writing a MS Word document or a Google document. Select the code block you want to copy and hit (ctrl + C in Windows) and then hit Ctrl + V to produce a copy of the selected block. You can then move the newly pasted block anywhere you want.

Hope to have answered your queries.

Happy Thunking

@muneer
First of all I sincerely want to thank you. Your advice will help me greatly and my students will be delighted to see their application to work in the classroom.

You tell me :

Save it to where? If you are referring to Google sheet by (thanks to the data on sheet) then this option is available for compiled app on phone but for the project you share, every student will have his/her own copy of the project and would require to connect it to a data source that the student can connect to.

If by done through live you mean to install the app on students’ phones then the answer is yes, it is possible. When the students run the project using the live app on phone, they are actually running their own copy of the project not yours. So in practice, each student is running a different project which happen to be very similar.

However, I wanted to make sure I understood correctly. The email I receive with the iOS application, if I send it to my students will they be able to download and keep it? Because a message is displayed in the received email:
Please note that you can only test one project on your mobile device at a time.

*This is a "one-time use only" link. It will expire in one hour. It is intended for testing purposes only.*

*Please do not share the link.*

*If you want to invite others to test your project, please enroll in the [Apple Developer Program]*

Knowing that my application is a small project just for my students (and not for the purpose of marketing it or otherwise) I would like to be able to share it with them and they can play it without having to put it on the apple store but I don’t know if this is really possible.

Also, if the students download the app, the backups on google sheet can be recovered by myself? Or not ? If this is not the case, you might as well make “backups” on own table

1 Like

Please see the response of Thunkable on a similar inquiry

In particular the comments of @domhnallohanlon

Yes I had read his comment, that’s why I asked again because your message “If by done through live you mean to install the app on students’ phones then the answer is yes, it is possible.” Me suggested the opposite. So I didn’t understand.
Thanks for your help

1 Like

Thank you for your clarification. I was referring to the fact that the students will sign up for Thunkable and will install the Thunkable live app in their own phones. Therefore can run the project from the live app. Apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Another option that would not require iOS restrictions which is sharing your app as a Web App. This requires that you have a Thunkable PRO account but in the other hand you will be able to distribute your app as a web link only and the students will no longer require to download or install any app in their phones.