[Superpost] Questions about Screen Orientation

Hi there,

If you need to switch between Landscape and Portrait very much, then theoretically you can use such a temporary workaround. Create two identical screens, one of which is rotated by 90 degrees using the rotation property on the additional tab. After that, using Javascript (WebViewer) define the screen size and, if the width is greater than the height, then we call the screen with the rotated interface.

The problem is that when you rotate the screen, there is no event, and then you have to use a timer to track it. But in this case, you’ll have to use Firebase to quickly exchange data between WebViewer javascript and the native part. And for this device need to be online.

Hi AC,

I’m not seeing the “additional” tab. There is a Transform tab, but I do not see how to use it.

Hi,

All is correct. On the screen, add a button to see the transformation. Select Screen1, the Advanced properties tab, the Transform field group, select Rotate, enter the rotation angle in radians, and click the Add button.

transform

2 Likes

Nothing happens for me:

The angle of rotation must be specified in radians. Enter a value of 1.57 which means clockwise rotation by 90 degrees.

1 Like

neither to me…

It will not turn on the screen. Only without simulator.
Thanks

BUMP Is there any better solution or has the landscape issue been fixed yet?

We are currently working on adding support for changing the screen orientation, as well as supporting user rotation of the device. It requires some underlying third-party software package updates updates and we’re hoping for it to get released within a week or two.

-Mark

3 Likes

like and bump because this deserves full attention. @Mark keep up the great work and I’ll continue being a paying member as should all to keep building the future… please keep us posted

2 Likes

Same thing with me, I have a piano game I am making and need it on landscape.

We’re still busy at work doing the third-party software package update (it’s Expo, in case you’re interested). It’s complicated, because the upgrade has the potential to affect lot of different parts of Thunkable ✕, so we have to do a bunch of careful work and testing.

Thanks for your patience!

-Mark

2 Likes

5 months since the last “update” so here’s another BUMP. I get you guys have to work around some things but uhhh landscape and portrait are the very BASICS of app foundation. Lets focus on this kind of stuff FIRST please. How are we paying for such a broken foundation? If this were a building it would have fallen over. We have so many “features” that cant be used properly. The faith in Thunkable is waning.

2 Likes

Please!! We need landscape support

Please we need portrait support

1 Like

guys, it has been 2 YEARS 7 Months. Surely it does not take this long to implement 1 function. Sure it takes like 1 to 2 months thats respectable but 2 YEARS!? This is just ridiculous. I’m starting to think that they just gave up on the implementation of landscape/portrait support.

2 Likes

They have vertical scroll but not horizontal scroll let alone have screen rotation

Welcome to the community @joemccollum :call_me_hand::call_me_hand::call_me_hand: You can control this but not programmatically. You can control screen orientation through the layout editor by setting the property “rotation” for any component to the value 1.5708

1 Like

@jared what im saying is that it does not take This long to implement 1 function. On of the most basic functions for an app inventor. I should not have to do all of this witch craft in order to turn the screen!

1 Like

Maybe you forget the many many other cool features this site offers for free to its users. there are other platforms available if you don’t like what’s here… It also sounds like in 2 years, you’ve not taken the time to learn a different platform. You are sitting with something you don’t like, complaining about it publicly, likely hoping that it will make the admins change the platform or garner sympathy from the other community members. That’s probably a hard thing to go through. Do you want to talk about it more? In that case, send me a PM. This forum isn’t the place for talk of witchcraft, instead try #off-topic

Given all of the other features, I will state that for now, I don’t mind. If you think it is uber important you should place a feature request in the GitHub here. This is the preferred location for issues and suggestions like the one you describe. Maybe after you post there, you can encourage community members to follow by linking to your GitHub post. I’ll endorse that!

1 Like