Is the new UI laggy?

I chatted with @jane at Thunkable last week and was told Thunkable would be posting a list of known bugs , so at least we would know if the problems were new or being worked on.

The lag when dragging is massive problem. I actually don’t drag the components, I change the x,y, height, width properties. That seems to speed things up.

I’ve also found you need to use groups to keep components from rearranging in strange ways. This rearranging appears to be related to how Thunkable scales the screen to fit on the device (but that is a wild guess). Unfortunately there is no documentation for the group component, I kind of think that is because the behavior of the group may not be according to specifications.

I like being able to overlay elements, but that is about all I like.

The only other reason I’m using drag and drop is that I am worried Thunkable will deprecate row/column projects like they depricated Thunkable Beta and Thunkable Classic.

1 Like

Without the ability to position components just the way you like, I wouldn’t have made my app using the Drag N Drop at all. Has the list been published by now(you spoke last week). It would be really helpful to know whether it’s just my device or not.

It definitely isn’t just your device. But I haven’t seen the list yet

Hey @codeswept - sorry to hear this, we’re actively working on improvements at the moment and really appreciate your help/feedback.

Would you be able to share a screen capture of what this looks like on your end?

We’re working on this right now @drted - will keep you posted.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: [Solved] Which browser is recommended for the new UI?

I’m facing most of these issues as well. Very rarely it’s not laggy, so I’m wondering if I’m just happening to work at the same time as everyone else and the servers are congested?

Yeah, just to click on a component in the designer takes awhile to make it the active selection on my end. Can be frustrating, but as a fellow developer, I know new updates can be a bit buggy.

Thank you for the tip about groups. :slightly_smiling_face: On my thunkable live testing things are stretching out and becoming a bit distorted. :flushed:

I’m really hoping this can be fixed soon. I just started using the drag-and-drop interface because I’m teaching my students how to use Thunkable and I didn’t want them to suffer through the old interface. Dragging components should be a much better experience for them.

But it’s really slow for me, too. If I click on a component on the Design screen, it can take 15 seconds to select it. If I try to move a component, I rarely get it to work the first try. It takes four or five tries. And because there’s lag, I sometimes move/select the wrong item component and don’t realize it right away.

I am in the same position. Wanted to teach next week the new UI but decided it’s just not possible at the moment. I am working on a project myself and finding it too frustrating. Shame you can’t save screens as then could do a screen per project and then combine them later but no option to do that now

@Kat_Rostova - I experienced this back when we were testing, but right now my DnD projects don’t seem to be lagging at all. I’m not sure if this is specific to time of day or to the individual project. Would you mind PMing me your project so I can take a look please?

Ditto @Tina_Fountain and @tatiang - perhaps this is just being caused by one component that I’m not using? If you PM me links for the affected projects I can compare and see.

1 Like

You’re right that it’s not happening in all of my projects. I only have a few using the new interface so I’ll share one with you when I get the chance.

I can definitely pm you my project later. I would’ve yesterday, but darn health issues decided to try and ruin my day. :flushed:

Started another unrealated project today and it’s working great no lag at all. Really hoping I don’t have to start the other two again as have put a lot of work in. So fingers crossed.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Are Thunkable’s analytics tools making it slower?