Data Viewer List glitches when visibility is changed

Hi there,

When the screen opens, the data viewer automatically starts loading itself & I also have another normal text list-viewer to load its content. I’ve created a custom top-tab navigator (it just has buttons instead) The buttons’ job is to switch back and forth (hide & show) on both lists.

When the screen opens, the data viewer is shown first, and when I switch to my text-list tab & come back to the data viewer tab, the data viewer sort of whites out(?) It just glitches and creates huge gaps between 2 records…

Summing up, the data viewer list is glitching when its visibility is toggled. (@jane another visible-invisible bug over here)

Any suggestions? Thanks! :grinning:

1 Like

I’m seeing lots of problems with the Data Viewer List component. So far:

1. Component styles in custom layouts aren’t previewing

2. DVL data does not show up in Thunkable Live when first previewed. A “Refresh Data” block fixes this each time I preview.

3. The “Refresh Data” block crashes frequently.

4. Assigning a list of values from a local DB to a DVL subcomponent causes an internal error

5. A couple reports of Airtable data not syncing to a DVL

6. DVL data isn’t syncing properly with a local DB. When I add data to a DB and then re-open my project in Thunkable Live or as a downloadable iOS app, it sometimes doesn’t have the data that was recently added. The same exact code will save and display the data or NOT save and display the data. There doesn’t seem to be an obvious cause or pattern to this.

Not meaning to hijack your thread but I think there’s enough evidence that DVLs aren’t working properly that I hope when @jane and @domhnallohanlon see this, they can also review the links above.

3 Likes

Hi, @tatiang!

Yes, even I have experienced a few of the issues you listed.

• I need to refresh DVL every time, so it would show me my complete data
    • In my case, I have a airtable datasource of 3800+ entries connected to my DVL. When screen initializes, I can see only exactly 10 entries () - and then I have to refresh it to see rest entries.
  • The refresh block also frequently crashes for me

I look forward to the fixes :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit : Here’s a screen recording of my main issue - (the data-source connected has 3880+ records)

Thunkable Live v27101, on Galaxy A50 [Android 10]

Note : The ‘Directory’ & ‘Networking’ are my custom-made top tabs, because I wanted an image above them.

• As you can see, the first time, I can only see exactly 10 entries.
  • But when I click the ‘directory’ tab (which just hides the DVL & shows a column) and then click the ‘networking’ tab again, you can see the entries have increased.
  • But, when I go to the directory tab & come back to the networking tab, the entries have stopped at a certain record. It won’t go further from that.
  • It should’ve shown all 3800+ entries at once on start.

Summing up, hiding and showing the DVL causes a change in displayed entries.

1 Like

Update : The normal text list-viewer is also showing these bugs. When I hide the directory column & show it again, the list viewer either stops at a certain no. of items/displays a large gap between 2 items.

Please take a look at this @jane @domhnallohanlon - I really need to roll out my app by this week & without these features, my most important feature will become useless :slightly_frowning_face:

Thanks!

1 Like

Adding a link to a Github issue that explains #6 that I mentioned above:

1 Like

Is there any progress on this? The DVL works (more frequently) on the web interface but disappears completely, once I make a live test on my mobile device.

Are you using a Navigator in your project? Can you share a video of what’s happening and/or a link to your project?

Thanks for the quick reaction!

Yes, I do use a navigator.

It looks very messy right now but nevertheless the link is:

https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/61fd4f2d6281390011d56572

It’s the second tab (‘3D’) in the top navigator. As I mentioned, the error occurs only on the mobile device.

Now the data viewer even doesn’t appear in the web preview…

The Data Viewer List (DVL) does appear in both the web preview and Thunkable Live. You can verify that by adding an “empty text” property to the DVL:

But there are no values in the DVL so, yes, it looks blank. I believe what’s happening is that you have asked Thunkable to delete all of the data source rows and then recreate them but you have done this in the wrong order.

When you stack the [delete rows] and [for each item] blocks, the [for each item] block does not wait for the [delete rows] block to finish. It fires immediately after the [delete rows] block fires. So for example, if it takes 0.02 seconds for rows to be deleted from a data source but only takes 0.01 seconds to create the new rows, the rows will be created before the rows are all deleted. That might be confusing so… always put blocks you want to happen after another block inside of the “do” section like this:

I apologize for my late response. Thanks a lot for the hint!

1 Like