Custom Components now available in Public Beta!

Hello Thunkable Community!

Our latest feature, Custom Components, is now available to all Thunkable users in public beta!

Custom Components will allow you to save and share combinations of components and blocks to reuse in the same or other projects.

These Custom Components can range from simple functionality, like a button that always sends an alert to a user when it is clicked, to more complex capabilities, like creating a sign in/out component using buttons and text inputs. Regardless of the complexity, Custom Components can be imported into any of your projects to save you time and improve consistency across your app.

This is a huge leap forward in ease of re-creating events and tasks in your projects. Instead of having to create new blocks and building out the functionality of your component for each new project, you can now easily import a reusable Custom Component into any of your projects.

While we’re excited to share this new feature with you, we want to remind you that it’s still in public beta and therefore may change slightly, in part based on your feedback. This also means you may experience bugs, which we need your help identifying and sharing as part of this beta program. This will allow us to fix, iterate upon, and release Custom Components out of beta faster!

We encourage you to try out Custom Components, add them to your projects, and share them below in the comments. We’ll be kicking off a formal competition (with prizes!) here in the Community soon where you can really flex your Custom Components muscles :muscle:.

Feel free to comment below on what specific types of Custom Components you’d like to see and we’ll share some examples!

Happy Thunking!

6 Likes

Hi @matt_conroy, does this mean that variables and components included in the Custom Components are handled for us so that there aren’t issues with duplicate names when we try to add a Custom Component to an existing project? I can imagine having two Text Input1’s for example, or two app variable userIds…

3 Likes

I too have @tatiang 's question, alongwith is this for drag and drop UI only, or StP too?

Always great to see new features being added to Thunkable :smile: Thanks.

4 Likes

@matt_conroy

i would love to hear more about this.

3 Likes

@tatiang @kartik14 I have sent both of your questions to the team who’s building out this and will get an answer soon. Does this mean you’d like to be a part of the testing as well?

3 Likes

Yes! And a video showing how it’s intended to work would be great.

6 Likes

Yes! :+1:

3 Likes

@jared I will get you added in. More details coming soon.

4 Likes

@tatiang @kartik14 to answer your questions (also, the original post is updated with some sample videos, which should help better explain expected behavior):

does this mean that variables and components included in the Custom Components are handled for us so that there aren’t issues with duplicate names when we try to add a Custom Component to an existing project? I can imagine having two Text Input1’s for example, or two app variable userIds…

Two or more components can have the same name, but once added to a project instance, custom components can’t have the same name. For example, “My Component” added to a project will be named by default “My_Component1,” and if another component named “My Component” is added after that it will be named “My_Component2”.

Variables and component names won’t conflict. For example, “Button1” in a custom component will not affect the same naming “Button1” used in the app.

is this for drag and drop UI only, or StP too?

This new feature is only supported for the drag-and-drop project editor.

3 Likes

@tatiang @kartik14 @jared you should all have access to start testing out custom components :tada: As you start using custom components, please share any feedback you have here in the Beta Tester Lounge. Thank you :pray:

4 Likes

Ahhh… Will we ever see this in StP? Personally, I’m very used to the StP UI as I’ve been using it for years… Nevertheless, for DnD users, once this is live it would be a great and helpful feature to have :+1:

Thanks, Kartik.

3 Likes

@kartik14 as of now we do not have plans to support custom components in StP.

1 Like

Hi I have some questions

Will we be able to copy blocks associated with the saved component?

Hi @vishruth-ram Thanks for bringing this up. Copy/pasting of blocks with Custom Components is something we are definitely considering. It may not be a feature when Custom Components are released to the public but our team is looking at how to implement this.

Reach out if we can answer anything else for you!

@kartik14 @jared You both are added in–let us know when you get to using this component and what you think!

2 Likes

What would really help is when we can save Web APIs :innocent:

Hallo I also think, that you have done with this feature a very imprtant step forward in direction to a universal powerful coding environent which uses a “language” that fits psychological to our human brain. Keep on going this way. I would like to give a contribution to this project by being a member of the testing team for this new feature.
Christoph Wölk

@cwoelk24p4yuw Your account has been set up for Beta access now and you can use Custom Components. When you’ve had a chance to look at the videos in my first post about Custom Components, be sure to also check out our post in the Beta Tester Lounge, where you can ask questions and submit feedback. Thanks!
https://community.thunkable.com/t/about-the-custom-components-category/2603720

I’m very interested in testing this. Could you include me in the testing?

1 Like

@tthompson41231 You are ready to go on testing for Custom Components! You may need to refresh your browser for them to appear in your components list.

Feel free to add your questions or feedback here in our Custom Components Beta Tester Lounge.

Thanks!

1 Like