I am having an issue with the create row block and Google Sheets. I was having this issue with my main app, so I created a test app regarding this issue and the error still is here. The block is running successfully and creating the new row in my sheet, but the program doesn’t continue to the next step. I will attach a link to a screen recording below. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Better provide the link to your sample app. I watched the video but didn’t see anything wrong or I overseen the bit that has the issue.
I updated the sheet to a new demo sheet. Here is the demo sheet and app links. The issue is the row is created, but it then doesn’t go to stop the timer and show the “Success” label. It doesn’t move to the next step./ This was happening in my main app too.
I don’t know why what you had originally does not work. It was likely to change label visibility and stop the timer too soon (because purple database blocks are asynchronous), but I don’t know why it didn’t continue to those other blocks at all!
Well, that is funny because I just replicated what you did and it’s not working. And I made a separate test project this time, so now I KNOW nothing else is messing with it (unlike my last few posts😅). I also cleared my cache right before this and reloaded the screen to make sure I was current on the app version.
Interestingly, this works (both labels change):
Hang on a second - is it not working in the web preview, or not working on Thunkable Live? It’s working on Thunkable Live.
I was about to say. I just tested Live, and live is working, but the web preview is not working.
OK, this is a web preview specific hang. Or anyway, it’s not an iOS LIVE hang, and if @muneer is testing on Android like usual, it’s not an Android LIVE hang either. Let me PUBLISH the test project as a web app and see what happens there…
Web apps (published, not just the preview) also hang in the same way - neither the “do” block nor the block after the create row block ever happen.
I also uploaded my video from the Thunkble app on the phone. (Android)
Github bug report, here we come!
The plot thickens. Same problem with local database AND Airtable.
I am going to add some molasses. The test app (which works on Thunk Live) is not working natively on Android (granted Android 8) and I am waiting to test it on iOS. HOWEVER, I redownloaded my main app, WHERE EVERYTHING IS WORKING ON LIVE CORRECTLY, and it is not working natively on any platform but live. So it looks like Thunk Live is the only thing that is working correctly.
See this other post
I just request the APK and waiting for it to test.
You might end up having to update the GitHub report.
I just downloaded the app of the above post and try running it on native Android.
No data. The app does nothing.
Ugh. Downloading on Android (7) and iOS (14) right now.
Confirmed. Both builds have the same broken behavior. Create row only behaves correctly in Thunkable Live. I’ve updated the bug report.
Anyone who desperately needs a workaround RIGHT NOW could move all the code that’s supposed to happen after the create row to some other triggerable event (but you’d have no way to get row ID for the newly created row). Or you could probably use Web API to create new rows the hard way. Here’s a tutorial showing this: Thunkable to Google Sheets | Write Data to Sheets with SheetsDB | No-Code Tutorial - YouTube (I haven’t done it).
Oh no! If LIVE and downloaded apps work differently, do I have to download and Live test each time I make a change? I also use spreadsheet and table blocks a lot, will my already downloaded .apps be affected if they were downloaded before this bug came across?
Downloaded apps don’t get re-built just because Thunkable changed something about how the build servers are NOW building apps, so if they were fine when you downloaded them, they still should be. But I if you’re using any ‘create row’ blocks, I’d expect them to be broken in any downloads today. (And maybe in the past couple days - I don’t know exactly when it broke.)
I only had this issue as of 12:21 PST yesterday evening(7/12/2021). So You might be safe. As a general go, I would suggest trying both whenever making changes, but that is my preference. As @catsarisky said, if they were working before the error, you should still be okay.
Here is a screenshot of working data and nonworking data. The timestamped data was working correctly.
Yeah, it’s definitely a good idea to test a download at least occasionally, and to test on every platform you’re planning to deploy on. (Given some recent bug reports, it may also be important to test Android >= 9 specifically as well.) I certainly don’t redownload every single time I change a couple blocks (that’d be way too slow), but I do confirm that major functionality is working right before I get too far in.
Of course, none of that’s a guarantee that something doesn’t change later (see this whole thread), but it’s a start!