Zero is not displayed in data viewer [July 2022]

I’ve discovered a recent bug, which might have been introduced during the last week or so. possibly related to this: Issues after live update to 316
If it’s not related to the above, here is the description.
When assigning a zero to a custom data viewer layout, the zero is not displayed.
Link to projects to replicate issue:
Link to custom data viewer creation
Link to DnD project with example

Screen shots:

1 Like

This is not enough to call it a bug.

Can you see that the zero is actually written to the local table?

As a quick way to verify, you can add a List Viewer to your screen and use list of values.... block to view the content of the column in your table.

Another way is to connect to a Google sheet and manually enter zeros and see if it is reflected in the DVL.

[Update]

Do you mean that it shows in the built-in layout but does not show in the custom layout?

1 Like

The reason I call this a bug is because this wasn’t an issue prior to the update. Also even if the zero wasn’t being written to the table then it’s a bug within the data sources instead of the data viewers.

I took your suggestion and checked using a list viewer. Also the zero doesn’t show it any data viewer list. Even the default ones.

1 Like

If the List Viewer does not show it then even if it is a bug then it should not be tied with the data viewer as you have stated in the title of the post.

1 Like

Fair enough. Although it is written to the table so it’s only an issue with data viewers. I’ve updated the title to be all data viewers and not just custom.

1 Like

So I must have misunderstood you. I thought you said you tested with the List Viewer and could not see the zeros. A List Viewer is not related to Data Viewers.

How do you know it is written to the table? The only way is to show it somehow in the screen. Without this you wouldn’t know if it is written to a local table. This is why I suggested to test with a Google sheet or an Airtable table to be able to check the table content independent of Thunkable.

1 Like

Hey Muneer I might not be quite understanding what you’re trying to convey.
This is what I did; I set the list viewer values to the “list of values in column 1”, and the zeros displayed in the List Viewer which means the zeros are being written to the local table. Here is the app so you can see the list viewer is displaying the zeros, meaning they are being written to the local table

1 Like

I created a quick project with this table

and this is the DVL

The problem is with the live viewer, try viewing that same page on an android and it won’t appear.

1 Like

I got what is going on. The DVL will not show a zero content but will show if the zero is saved as text

1 Like

So then it’s an issue with how the data is saved within the data source. The data viewer won’t show the zero if it’s numerical, but only if it’s text. So should I change the name of the post to something else?

2 Likes

I believe you should convey this finding to the team to get a better view of the issue and know where to check.

@wei
@cassandra
@jared

2 Likes

Thank you! I have reported this as a bug and will keep you posted here

1 Like

let me chime in. i encountered this in my amortization schedule program. i’m using custom DVL. the behavior is this: if the number value is zero, it shows up as blank. the trailing zeros after the decimal point show up as blank. - ie. 23.50 shows up as 23.5, and 23.00 would show up as 23 but the cent parts (and decimal point) occupy space. in fact, the decimal points (visible or not) line up. but trailing zeroes after the decimal are blank. Fun Share - Amortization Schedule

2 Likes