🎮 WDC #12 Let's Play Whac-a-Mole™️

Fixed. It’s working at my side, is it working for you?

P.S: Thanks for all the bug alerts @catsarisky! They’re really helpful, and I’d have probably not noticed if you @domhnallohanlon hadn’t pointed them out.

1 Like

Yes, working now! 3 + 4 in 23 seconds.

1 Like

Oh wow! You’re really quick at that… 3+4 would probably take me 2-3 minutes.

11 seconds for 2+2.

When I switch it to Step of 3, Start at 2, the lowest # tortilla is 6. Shouldn’t it be 5?

1 Like

Let me try it at my end, and tell you the results.

Iced Tea Toss

Inspiration: This is an homage to a game I used to enjoy as a kid, Tapper.

How to play: The idea is that customers are lining up at a bar to be served iced tea. You’re the bartender and you have to move up and down (arrow buttons) and serve iced tea (tea button) to each customer before they get to the end of the bar. But be careful! If you toss an iced tea and there’s no customer to catch it, the glass is going to break and you’ll be fired.

Developer Experience: I had a lot of fun making this and a fair amount of frustration. I understand the canvas components so much better now but small math glitches are causing major problems in my game. The grid that the movement is based on is divided into 100 pixels but the math bugs alter that so that things go a bit haywire. You can even pitch a curve ball for some strange reason…

Regardless, I hope you enjoy it! I spent so much time trying to fix the math/movement that I didn’t get as far in the development as I wanted to. So there’s no game over screen or restart button. But enough excuses!

PLAYABLE DEMOWeb App: bit.ly/icedteatoss2

I recommend playing it on a mobile device.

6 Likes

@codeswept Love the word play theme, the graphics, the math aspect… very well done!

1 Like

Thanks! Am trying the fix the 2+3= 6 issue.

I tried to do this using a futuristic retro style

Although I will give up (I’m using a browser + cable + mouse at home), I went ahead with some of them in the cyber café I created some sprintes with blender and the initial logic (in cyber they close early because of the pandemic, so the way is to use the cell phone + otg).
in the browser it was a little better than in the app, app very slow and full of bugs

It is the first time that I use the canvas and I had difficulties with some logic because the visualization of the web and the application behaved differently in the y, x axes. I spent many hours switching between the tabs of the android kkkk trying to find out. After adding more timers, it was very slow and acting differently from the initial one, (it may be because the sprintes are high resolution or additional timers, I don’t know, but this is very slow and full of kkk bugs).
But the WDC design I wanted to try was a futuristic retro style, thanks.

9 Likes

Wow! Really interesting game, and love the UI. Took me a while to figure out how the game worked, but after I did, I had a blast playing it. Just a question, though: When I was at the topmost bar, The iced tea got tossed down to the third-from top bar. Was that intentional?

Absolutely love the game, though! I played it seventeen times already!

Just a suggestion: Would it be possible for you to add a play again/reset option once we lose the game? Every time I lost, I’d have to cross out the tab, go back to Community, and click on the link again. It was kinda annoying. Otherwise, I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, it’s a marvel of an app. I played it on my tab, and the experience was great!

1 Like

Well thank you, I appreciate it! I was a little embarrassed to share it because it doesn’t work very well.

The “curve ball” you described is a bug related to a sprite’s y positioning. I mentioned it on the forums a day or two ago but just reported it on GitHub here: Sprite's y position is altered · Issue #880 · thunkable/thunkable-issues · GitHub.

I think I’ll keep working on the game but honestly it’s a little distracting to have sprites end up in random positions. I have iced tea pitchers that are supposed to go on the right edge so it looks like the bartender/player is reaching for them and then tossing the glasses of iced tea. But when I add them to the canvas, they up in random positions. Same goes for the score which was supposed to be at the top. And the y=0 bug from the link above causes so many problems: the bar area doesn’t line up, the iced tea glasses get thrown below the bar, the customers don’t appear in the right place, on and on…

Anyway, I’m glad you like it and I’ll post an update when I have one!

1 Like

Cool, that’s great! It was really brave of you and @catsarisky to use the canvas. Honestly, I’m frightened about using the canvas, I don’t know a thing about it. Instead, for my Guac-A-Mole app, I used buttons for the tortillas.

@codeswept - wow! that’s impressive - it’s such a simple concept but with clever use of sliders for difficulty level - not to mention the math and memory skills it develops in the player! i always enjoy looking at your code - so much to learn from. keep it up! thanks.

2 Likes

The canvas was a real learning curve but I feel empowered now (thanks, @domhnallohanlon, for the challenge!).

I added a restart button as you requested. Same link as before.

2 Likes

Wow, that was quick!

Agree… I’m just using canvas for drawing apps, and not gaming as intended.

Also, @tatiang, about the 2+3=6 issue, check my 3d screenshot in my original post. It has the same 2+3 level, but contains a 5, not 6.

@manyone Thanks for your nice words… I’m also a big fan of your code, you make such impossible things with such neat code. I especially loved your CLIX converter. Are you going to participate in this WDC? I’d love to see what you’ve got to share.

1 Like

i’m afraid not - there is so much for me to learn on clones, canvas and sprites - i’m so far behind all of you guys.

1 Like

@tatiang - i love the game! somehow my device isnt too responsive to the up/down keys to move the bartender - can you give an option to make them “wrap around” ? bravo!

2 Likes

Thanks! The original Tapper game didn’t have wrap around so I don’t think I’m going to make it an option but it would certainly make the game a little easier.

The up/down buttons work okay on mine but I think part of the problem is that I’m constantly checking to see if the customers reach a certain x position to indicate game over and there’s probably a much more efficient way to do that that doesn’t affect the game speed/responsiveness.

I also intend to make the customers speed up gradually. Still need to add that. They are supposed to spawn at x=0 (left edge of screen) but because of the position bug I keep mentioning, it doesn’t work that way and they get a head start.

1 Like

Canvas is a very weak spot of mine too… I used the Any component blocks and Buttons.