🎮 WDC #17 Tic Tac Toe: The Next Generation

It’s Tic Tac Toe, but not as you know it - this challenge will require that you add an extra dimension to the traditional 3 x 3 game:

small_gif

As you can see, each side has 6 players (plenty of scope for character design and development) and the larger players can “eat” smaller ones and take their place on the board (so a bit of logic is needed to implement this)

Will update this post over the weekend but hopefully this is enough to get you started!

5 Likes

Summary of entries

2 Likes

This seems interesting! Is there any specific name for this type of tic tac toe, so I can maybe google it and learn a bit more about it? I haven’t heard of this before.

2 Likes

Just PMd you a link!

1 Like

Just saw that. Thanks!

1 Like

We have this game at home and love it. It’ll be interesting to think of a way to implement it digitally.

4 Likes

To make a game like this well, we really need some Canvas improvements. For one, the ability to detect a mouse up event on a sprite would allow the user to drag and drop a game piece and then we could code snap-to-grid to set the piece where it needs to go.

3 Likes

Couldn’t you use this?

2 Likes

I thought I’d tried that a while ago but you’re right, that does detect a mouse up. Thanks!

I don’t think I can use the Canvas even with that block available.

Sprite positions are inconsistent:

1 Like

I think the sprites use the mid point rather than the top left corner, right?

I think I’d use (lots of) buttons for this, simply because the last Tic Tac Toe game I built used 9 buttons.

I guess I’d ask you that! :laughing:

The documentation I’ve read says that it’s the top-left corner. @jane said she would put in a request to change it to the center of the sprite.

But my findings here are really strange. Regardless of whether the x,y position is top-left or center, I’m seeing inconsistencies that prevent me from using the Canvas.

That’s the way I’m heading, too… I just think a drag-and-drop game using the Canvas would be so much more satisfying.

3 Likes

@domhnallohanlon, could you give me the link too?

4 Likes

@human it seems like the rules might be a little more nuanced then the original animation I shared, but feel free to start simple and add additional complexity as you go:

5 Likes

Oh, interesting!

2 Likes

Here is my (pre - entry )

https://thunkable.site/w/aimEH84iX

1 Like

This is what I get.

Fixed…
Still working…dont understand now why it runs away

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/39fce0567e18e40ef66c7540d3ba9a0d

This is what I see when I preview it in a browser:

The game seems to work… I can add Os and Xs. Is it just tic-tac-toe or did you code it like Gobblet?

This challenge was a little too complex for me to complete over a weekend but I may revisit it another time. Keep these WDCs coming… so much fun to see everyone’s projects! :slight_smile:

1 Like