Trying to figure this out

So I recently started back working with thunkable, and I’ve noticed some things have gone downhill. The price has gone up significantly to be able to publish to the app store, but I haven’t seen any significant improvements to the system or new functionalities that would justify the price increase. Can anyone shed some light on this?

It used to be $25/month, which was reasonable for the limited functionality of some things (data viewer limitations, etc. I’ve noticed the UI is much slower now too for some reason.) but for it seems the exact same functionality (with the added ability to delete entries on the local database now, it had problems before) it’s jumped up to $45/month. That’s almost double the price for no additional benefit and the same limitations.
I’m a bit confused as to what happened.

2 Likes

Hi @kjbuttel9,

Welcome back - thanks for sharing your feedback!

Are you trying to update an existing app you already have published in the App Store?

Can you tell us a bit more about the project you’re working on?

Wondering which Data Viewer limitations you’re referring to? If you give some specific examples we can help you move forwards with your project.

In relation to updates, we have a record of user-facing changes in the release notes, some notable improvements include:

• AAB Downloading
  • Figma Import
  • Webflow Support
  • Additional default fonts
  • Custom font uploads (Business users only)
  • More properties for label and listviewer
  • Lots of speed and performance updates
  • Tablet Mode
  • In-App Purchases
4 Likes

Some of the apps I already had published to the app store before the price jump were Tiny Sales CRM, Tiny Customer Connect, and Auto Decisions. They were custom creations for small companies that only needed basic level stuff. I wasn’t able to use Thunkable for a full blown CRM development due to lack of extended functionality. If i could have, I would have… but I couldn’t, so I didn’t.

Some of the old things that haven’t changed deal more with the block functionality and options that are needed. For example:

-The grid data viewer still doesn’t have any settings for the grid dimensions or size (how many columns).

-There’s still no way to filter data viewer information in any form of simple way. It’s often a complicated process using api filtered queries.

-There’s no filtering data through the integrated API’s (Blocks), such as for airtable. It’s still that you have to know the row id before you can get the information, which means more manual API queries.

-There’s still no way to refresh portions of the screen… still have to reload the whole screen.

-Local DB is still very limited. Would be nice to be able to specify a 3D or 4D array for data analysis and history, but it’s just a local version of excel or airtable. Even something more akin to MS Access as far as data manipulation and filtering would be nice.

-Lacking many of the more popular API’s as a quick build (the blocks) such as google maps geocoding, street view, IFTTT, Open Weather Map, etc.

-Map functionality is still a bit finicky, but the thorough documentation is lacking.

Now don’t get me wrong, it’s a great commercialization of the original MIT developed App Inventor. BUT pricing is usually based around capability and functionality. It’s the reason Autodesk can charge $1800/year for Autocad… there’s not much that their software can’t do. I get that Thunkable is significantly smaller, but the pro subscription still accounts for $540/year which denotes some full functionality and in depth capabilities. This isn’t that… there’s still some top level stuff that needs to be expanded in order to justify the move from $288/year to $540/year.

That’s where my confusion comes in… where’s the jump in overall functionality that justifies the jump in price? Back-end side, while important, doesn’t really qualify. In-app purchases, while nice for those who are using pay-walls and adverts in their apps to produce profit, aren’t useful to the rest of the business world that can really use this development platform for the day-to-day “band-aid” apps.

Okay, I’ve said my peace… I’m off my soapbox.

Hi,

I dont have the time or indeed the knowledge to address each of the shortfalls listed above (although I am sure somebody will) hovever I tend to find with Thunkable there is usually a way round some of the limitations in the blocks and I am not talking about additional in depth coding as I am 100% no code.

I have published apps with some fairly sophisticated data filters using combinations of local data tables, odjects and Airtable

The price hike was a shock to me too but I am sure the Thunkable team are not taking the piss and if we want Thunkable to be around for us in the future we have to pay the required fees.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.