🎉 Try out the new blocks editor 2020-11-10

Wow! This is a great improvement @domhnallohanlon. It’s been a big struggle to constantly navigate between the design and blocks tab to change settings of components. Thanks very much for adding this and making my Thunking easier.
Some improvements I would like to suggest:

1: It would be great to change the setting of the visible components for UI (button, label, etc) from the blocks editor. Currently, you can change the settings of invisible components, like the URL of a WEB API from the blocks area. It would be really helpful to be able to change properties of visible components as well. For example, you can change the text color of a label or border radius of a button from the blocks editor. That would make Thunking much quicker and faster.

2: It would be wonderful to be able to see positions of visible components in the blocks editor. When I code, I keep forgetting what each component is even though I give each of them an ID. For example, if my screen has a lot of components like date input, many labels, and other UI components, it would be confusing to keep track of all my components. A possible solution is to have a screenshot of the block in its position along with related blocks and settings. This would also save me time from going to and fro from the blocks tab to the design tab, and back again.

3: It would be great to be able to add ‘comments’ to components, so we can know what each button is doing in the app, when we are blocking it out. For example, if I have a lot of buttons like ‘Listen button’ and ‘Stop button’, and I’d forgotten to which button did what, it would be helpful to have comments that you can add to each component (which will be visible only to the creator and not the user) that will remind you what each button does. If this comes up, then I will be able to click on button Listen’s drawer in the blocks editor and read what I have written about the button’s function, like ‘This is the block that will play the music that the user has selected’.

Overall, though, this is an amazing improvement, and I hope many more keep rolling out.
Thanks,
@codeswept

2 Likes