Taking photos with Published Web Apps

Separate issue :stuck_out_tongue: When I take a photo using a published web app, my iMac’s camera light turns on, then about 4 seconds go by, and then the photo appears on the screen. I’m not expecting that delay – even without involving cloudinary – and there’s no way to know exactly when the photo is taken because there’s no “take photo” button.

2 Likes

Hey @tatiang - going to move this out to its own topic since it affects all web apps (not just those created with the new UI)

Wondering if a loading icon would help at all for this use case?

2 Likes

I think a loading icon would be helpful. Are you thinking it would be built-in to that block or that I should just manually time a loading icon?

1 Like

Thanks for all the testing, @drted. Even though the web version of a camera app isn’t all that useful (I think?), it would be good to have a button to take a photo rather than the current method: wait some amount of time (?) and it automatically takes a photo.

Interesting to see the speed differences…

1 Like

I’m a little confused by your statement below. What do you mean? The wait above is after the photo is taken

I think two topics got merged. My comment about the web version of a camera app is in reference to the fact that if you try to take a photo in a published web app, the camera (at least on an iMac) lights up as if it’s on, but then there’s a delay of a few seconds before it actually takes the picture. And there’s no audible or visible signal – that I’m aware of – that it’s taking a picture. So it’s hard to time.

Not that I use the camera in web apps often but occasionally it’s helpful for testing purposes.

But that particular comment had nothing to do with cloudinary or firebase or storing photos at all.

1 Like

Sorry @tatiang & @drted, I’ve been moving lots of questions around this week so that each unique #draganddrop feedback/issue lives in its own topic.

The intent is that by grouping all the related posts in one topic will allow us to triage/fix/report the fix as efficiently as possible.

Since this seemed to be about taking photos in web apps in general (and not specific to DnD) I moved it to its own topic.

1 Like

I was hoping that would happen. Thank you!

No worries!

1 Like