Switching from hardcoding to DB logic

The app I’m building has 2 main parts: testing and rehabilitation

The testing part will have different sections of the body: foot, knee,
hips, torso, shoulder, elbow, arm, back and neck, head.

Each section of the body has a unique logic flow the user must go through
designed by physiotherapists leading them to a result. Think ‘choose your own adventure’.

Through the result page, or by selecting ‘rehabilitation’ at the beginning,
the user can then go to the rehab portion. The rehab portion will have a
program for each ‘diagnosis’, and we will have many screens for each
‘diagnosis’ with specific text, image and videos.

I’m looking at well over 200 screens the way it’s going right now, but I was told it’s possible to add logic to the DB and reuse screens.

For example, the ‘testing’ portion has 4 main screens:

• single video
  • multiple choice
  • multiple video
  • results page

Each of those 4 screens would be a pillar screen

How do I go about doing this?

Hey @somamendbjj!! Welcome to the community!
Are you moving through things sequentially? Diagnosing for example. Is there a standard flowchart/order of operations during this time?

If so, you could set a variable to take the place of different screens, so to speak. The value of the variable could control what is on the screen dynamically.

Think.

On screen open → if var positionInExam = 1
Do → set label “display exam question” to [var “list of exam questions” {get index number (Var positionInExam)}]

I think @darren has an example of dynamic context on his YouTube channel. I can post a tutorial of this tomorrow. I’m almost positive @domhnallohanlon has also made a post about this. Something like “how to reduce number of screens”. Also, there is at least 1 other YouTube video about this (can’t remember the author currently).

Make sure there is water in your pool before you try to swim! :slight_smile:

Hope that helps! :vulcan_salute:

I’ll also do a quick search, because I understand how incredibly difficult and time consuming it must be. After all, I’m only a full time therapist, and full time graduate researcher, and father of two. I don’t really have a full plate and strive to help others. :joy:

http://community.thunkable.com/t/2-methods-to-reduce-the-number-of-screens-in-a-thunkable-x-app-with-video/74847

1 Like

Hey @jared,

Thanks for your reply.

There is a standard flow but it looks like this:

I finally got to the point of figuring out the back button so each screen is generated into a list.

The methods to reduce the number of screens seems a bit… daunting, to say the least.

Each one of the screen templates would have 10+ different variables within each element

Multiple choics would have:
(top label)(header label)(image)(choices)(bottom label) then also the navigation for next,back and home. Not to mention each (choices) has anywhere from 2-6 choices.

With multiple screens, I just duplicate elements.

Also, with the 4 screen pillars (single video, multi video, multiple choice with image, multiple choice without image), the user can skip around to whatever they want.

Are there any more in-depth tutorials for beginners? The dev I hired to help (who has a masters in CS) said multiscreens would be much easier.

Hey @somamendbjj, did you ever make progress on this?