[Solved] Info.Plist error in publishing to App Store

When publishing my app which contains a location component, I provide the following in the iOS Permissions ‘Location’ field in the App Settings:

“This app uses the phone GPS to record the location of the of the record and uploads it to the server”

Apple rejects the build with the following info:

Guideline 5.1.1 - Legal - Privacy - Data Collection and Storage

We noticed that your app requests the user’s consent to access their location but does not clarify the use of the location in the applicable purpose string.

Next Steps

Please revise the relevant purpose string in your app’s Info.plist file to specify why the app is requesting access to the user’s location. You can modify your app’s Info.plist file using the property list editor in Xcode.

“To help users understand why your app is requesting access to their personal data, all permission request alerts in your app should specify how your app will use the requested feature.”

How can I access, or get the needed information into the Info.plist file and resolve the issue?

you say that you are going to store the data. I think they may be looking for a phrase such as “Data will be stored in order to…” and then explain why data is being stored.

1 Like

Hi @KaneoheKid,

Have you added a description of why you are using this component to your app settings?

Yes, I had put a description of the APP Settings which I thought was sufficient, but when I added a little explanation, the APP passed review. So, thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

2 Likes

The issue has popped up again when I submitted a revision to the same app. The reason for the rejection was slightly different, but it is the same issue and I had not changed the wording since the last submission. My major question is: How do I edit the “relevant purpose string in your app’s Info.plist” if it is not in the iOS Permissions field?

The iOS Permissions field in my app reads: “This app uses the phone GPS to record the location of the facility entrance and the generator. It uses the camera for onsite photos, e-mail to request the registration code and the app uses the phone to set up a call to the facility POC, if desired.”

There really isn’t much more that can be said about how the camera will be used…the user takes pictures from within the app.

The rejection notice reads:

" Your app still requests the user’s consent to access their camera and photos but does not clarify why the use of the camera and photos in the applicable purpose string.

Please see attached screenshots for details.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please revise the relevant purpose string in your app’s Info.plist file to specify why the app is requesting access to the user’s camera and photos.

Please note that all permission request alerts in your app should specify how your app will use the requested feature."

maybe specify what will happen with the photos?
to take onsite photos which will be transmitted and stored on a secure server for data recording and job management purposes