[Solved] How to use recognize speech in block?

Hello,
I am back to Thunkable after a long break. For the “Recognize speech in block” the documentation is poor and examples none. I did find one of Tatiang’s solution from Dec 2022 but it did not help.

I keep saying Hello continuously while clicking the button. It did not work in web preview nor on the Android device. Once in a while I got a error message saying “It works on Android …”. What I was hoping for is to see my words in the label and then the app repeating what I said. Nothing happened. Kindly advice. Thanks

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/d8e7e04ed8e66a9625892d93977d7c2a

Using thunkable live? Try on an APK.

I tried both same result, sorry should have mentioned it. Thanks

I tested your project in the Thunkable Live app on my iPhone 13 Pro and it works as expected. I press the button and then say “Hello” and I see “Hello” displayed and also hear it spoken.

1 Like

Yes, I got a Apple phone and it did work thanks Tatiang. However I have only Android and it got to work on it also. I have filed this with Thunkable directly let me see what they reply.

@anandavardhana57zwwl My apologies, this was marked as solved. If you are still having issues, let us know what kind of Android device you are using and if you have allowed the app access to your microphone.

I just tested this on an Android device and it is working as expected. The first time I opened the apk file, I did have to allow access to the microphone but it worked fine after that, with hello as the label and the word hello spoken back.

1 Like

Hi Tatiang,
Sorry my earlier question got closed so doing a new one.

The documentation for the Recognized speech in block is totally inadequate, just one sentence with no example for explanation:

Recognize a piece of audio in a given language. Returns a text transcription of the speech.
Please explain how it should actually work. In Apple the moment I click the button it says something like “Say block has been enabled” then I keep talking nothing happens. Then I click the button once more it repeats what I talked and prints it too. So can I conclude the the button clicking is like a toggle? First time it is enabled next time it will do its job and gets disabled. The reason I ask this question is, the toggling did not work consistently. Once in a while it worked. So wanted to know exactly how it is supposed to work. Thanks

@anandavardhana57zwwl I have merged your latest topic as it was re-opened.

Hi Tatiang,

The documentation for the Recognize speech in block is totally inadequate, just one sentence with no example for explanation:

Recognize a piece of audio in a given language. Returns a text transcription of the speech.

Please explain how it should actually work. In Apple the moment I click the button it says something like “Recognize speech block has been enabled” then I keep talking nothing happens. Then I click the button once more it repeats what I talked and prints it too. So can I conclude the the button clicking is like a toggle. First time it is enabled next time it will do its job and gets disabled. The reason I ask this question is, the toggling did not work consistently. Once in a while it worked. So wanted to know exactly how it is supposed to work. Thanks

I’m not the best person to answer this because I don’t work for Thunkable. @matt_conroy might have more information for you.

All I can tell you is that when I test your project on my iPhone, it works as expected. I click the button, say something, and it gets displayed and spoken. It’s not a toggle.

Unfortunately my Thunkable membership expired last month and so @matt_conroy cannot help me. I will just wait and hope someone else might have faced the same issue and solved it … Thanks for the help

@anandavardhana57zwwl I sent you a message earlier in this thread. Please see that message.
https://community.thunkable.com/t/solved-how-to-use-recognize-speech-in-block/2639764/7

1 Like

Thanks Matt, finally it worked.

I just removed all the extra blocks I had it worked like a charm. So the extra blocks we causing all the confusion on Android. Thanks again and you can close this please.