Should I use Thunkable?

I am researching no-code and low-code app building tools. I found Thunkable and as an old C programmer, not an OO programmer, I was intrigued with the Thunkable “block” concept. However, I am concerned that learning how to use blocks, while visual, is still learning a new programming language. I’m trying to decide if I should put the time into learning this product. Thoughts?

welcome on board, in today’s world there are so many platforms to choose from each and everyone has their own advantages and disadvantages. I’m also not a programmer and have been hoping around many platforms. I think the best way to do will be get a list of things you want to achieve and see if specific platform gives what you want. Many times from face everything looks great but once you actually start doing the things then you will realize the limitation. The best way is to try it.

As far as block programming goes …I like it even my kids can do it. It’s all will come down to what you need and what the platform offers.

You might want to explore forum of each platform and look for features you want. See how many people reporting the errors. I would also look for stability of the platform meaning how solid the company is there are many platforms which are started by the individuals and they disappear within a fraction of time.

Whatever you choose all the best. Nothing is as easy as it seems. You will need to put real time and sincere effort s

I grew up writing code in Pascal and while that didn’t directly translate into something like Thunkable, my understanding of programming logic and conventions has been really helpful here.

Using Thunkable is most like using Scratch, which I also teach. Thunkable is based on React Native but I’m not sure how similar that is to C. My guess is it’s not. But I think having a programming background will be a big advantage to you rather than a disadvantage. But yes, it’s a new language!

Thank you @tatiang . FYI, C and Pascal are not that different, just different syntax IMHO.
I’m going to give Thunkable a try if I can figure out one last barrier. I need to be able to read the phone’s pedometer and calculate the number of steps taken.

Thank you @tiny_apps. I am going to try Thunkable if I can get access to the phone’s pedometer data. Given Thunkable has all the movement features accessible, I have to believe it is possible.

BTW, I would love to know how your kids are using this platform.