Push notification - OneSignal, Airtable

Hello everyone,

I am developing an app as part of an academic project. With this app, patients can report a specific treatment’s side effects and ask their HCPs questions.
I am using Airtable as a database and have the push notification created on OneSignal.

Now, there is where I need some assistance. I want this push notification to be send when there is an answer to the question that patient submitted. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to do it.
basically, I need this push notification when the answer cell on Airtable is not null.

Does anyone know how to do it? Do I need to be more specific on OneSignal or use some blocks on Thunkable?

Thank you for your time.

Hi @claudia.barrias.22r5, welcome to Thunkable! :tada:

Be sure to check out our posts about How to ask Great Questions v2.0 and our Community Guidelines as you get started.

Is the answer submitted on a button click? If so, you could set up the API call there.
This sounds like something you would want to do by using the OneSignal API blocks to send the notification when cell value =/= null.

The blocks would probably look close to this.

Let us know how you get on with this!

1 Like

First of all, thanks for your reply.

In this case, I have 2 apps that complement each other. One is for patients and the other for HCPs, meaning that the answer is sent through a different app that is connected to the same Airtable. I’ve used some blocks to display the answer on the patient’s app. But what I wanted was to use push notifications to notify the patient everytime there is a new answer.
Do you think that I can still use the same approach?

I don’t know if, looking at my code, you can help me troubleshoot.
Basically on another app, the user will submit open-ended questions (recorded on airtable). On the database it will retrieve the user id for the push notification.

Here, on this app, the user will be able to see and answer to the question submitted by the other user on the other app.

I want that every time the submit button is clicked, for it to record the answer on the database and send the notification to the user.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 23.27.54|680x500

Hello Claudia,

I had the same idea but unfortunaetly i didnt find a solution.
What i can do, is sharing all the walkarounds that suited my app for a similar goal.

I found quite useful Airtable’s Automations
In my case when a record was created, i decided it was easier to send an automatic mail to the user.

A second solution that i found useful was using IFTTT.com , a powerful tool that links a big number of other tools. I already use IFTTT for Airtable, but i’m sure you can find some viable side solutions for push notifications.

Hopefully you’ll find what you are lookinf for here, if not you have your back covered.

Hope it helps.

1 Like