Project slowed down and crashing

Thanks Paul, I will find a way around that.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me domhnall.
The project seems fine now I ve downloaded to my phone.
Live testing is a bit better now but still on the slow side.
Yes I need a lot of images and also a lot of variables (50ish) are necessary.
Wondered if using the forever loop a lot is slowing things? Is it running even when the particular screen it is part of isnā€™t open?
Cheers

1 Like

Hi @paulmw

It is still not working for me and I need your helpā€¦

The usecase is like this;

I start my app and open the screen1.
This will in term load urlxxx
From urlxxx user can navigate to urlyyy by following links on urlxxx.
User opens screen2
User later return to screen1

At this point I would prefer to let him originate from urlxxx - it is a new attempt into screen1.

However, neither setURL or reload calls let me force the webview back to urlxxx from urlyyy. I tried call either one of them and both of them with and without a long wait (5sec) in between. The webview stays at urlyyy.

I hope this explains my situation.

1 Like

Hi @paulmw

Slight update, if you set url to empty string, wait 0 seconds, set requested url, wait 0 sec and then call reload it seem to work consistently. I think you may want to improve that :slight_smile:

Henrik

2 Likes

Same behaviour for me. Live test is soooooslowwwwwwww. I left the project perfectly working last week. I opened it just few minutes ago and it is useless. Screens open slowly, buttons doesnt respond at all. I need to wait more than 30 secs ā€¦

@sirfrancisdrake can you provide a link to your project?

i just check with a iphone 11 pro and it works normallyā€¦ on my iphone 6 slowed down a lot
https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/5ead641180e93185d111e241

after a reboot of my iphone 6, a complete reinstall of thunkable live and a refresh of thunkable on my pc situation looks like betterā€¦ at least i can use it. I can see only a lot of time for screen swapping. Buttons respond normally now. Older projects without the webAPI object were not affected.

2 Likes

I love the fact that you sped things up. That was definitely needed. I thought it had to do with asynchronous processing and indeed it seems to be something along those lines too as Iā€™ll have a block at the end of a function execute well before other blocks at the top finish. I want this functionality, but need some way to deal with synchronous and asynchronous processing (ie. I would love to be able to load some things in the background like appears is sort of happening now, but also be able to control better when I need synchronous processing).

3 Likes

Sorry guys, iā€™ve got the same problem againā€¦ i tried 2 different connections too with no difference so i donā€™t think is a speed connection issue at all.

Hi @sirfrancisdrake, two quick things to help narrow this down.

1. Are you using the latest version of the live testing app? (v186?)
  2. Can you install your app on your phone and see if this issue persists.
2 Likes

hi @domhnallohanlon
a) please help to check if the live app is v186.
b) this morning i tried again and it works like a charm. Then i tried to open and close the live app a couple of time and it start to slow down expecially on screens change

hope it helps

hi, @domhnallohanlon,
the issue looks like very aleatoryā€¦ maybe depends on slower internet connections even if others had the same problem and maybe it is not the right clue. Actually it is working fine even if i cannot understand why on my iphone 6 updating 30/40 labels and colors in my screen takes more than 10 secsā€¦ :frowning: do i need to buy the 11 ??? :frowning:

@sirfrancisdrake if you like I could test this on my end?

Also to check what app version you are on, go to the App Store and search for Thunkable. Click into the app details and you will see ā€œversionā€:

Now is getting worst and weirdā€¦ buttons doesnt works, hangs, values and strings are missing. Iā€™m going out for a walkā€¦better than nuke everything!

Iā€™m having to put a wait block inside of a ā€œfor each item j in listā€ block to get the j to change properly. Otherwise it re-evaluates the previous value again. Iā€™m also surprised at how long of a wait I have to put in there, which makes me think itā€™s processing Airtable stuff and not changing the j value until the Airtable is done, but it begins processing the next cycle anyway. This could get hairy really quickly depending on the processing and internet speed of the device itā€™s running on.

I like that the Airtable is processing in the background and that it processes the next cycle, but Iā€™ve got to make sure that the list orders stay right and that it processes the j value change. Suggestions? Should I stop development until the next update?

BTW I love the rapid development of the platform, but the changes make it hard to develop an app as it seems every few days I have to go in and change something just to get the same functionality I had before an update. Sometimes those changes I donā€™t want to do, because it will cause behavior I donā€™t want when itā€™s fixed and/or updated again. Is there a better way to do this?

1 Like

Back from a good walk i was able to solve my issue only putting a wait about 0.1s in every procedure call that looks behaving abnormally. This happens expecially before if, for each and while.
In the image under the first if (collapsed sorry) is never evaluatedā€¦

this week ithis speed was a normal situation for me!

1 Like

Iā€™m going to add a bit to henrikhngj5ā€™s observation. In addition to ā€œset url to empty string, wait 0 seconds, set requested url, wait 0 sec and then call reloadā€ youā€™ll also need to set an initial url on the design screen otherwise it will still give you the white screen of death.

1 Like

I do not see this but as I understand the feedback, it could be related to the device in question, aka the speed.

1 Like