October 10: Launching the Thunkable Gallery & Thunkable PRO!

Hi all,

Today we launched the Thunkable Gallery & Thunkable PRO.

Few things I want to mention:

All existing projects you have already made on Thunkable ✕ can remain private forever at no cost. We hope that will make it easier for you all. We want to thank you for being our earliest and most loyal users.

Everyone who has used Thunkable ✕ prior to today will receive 3 months of Thunkable PRO for free.

Finally if you have a specific project that you are very proud of and would like to be featured on the gallery, please send me the link! We want to help make your apps popular!

Amrita

6 Likes

Congratulations for the great progress you make, I just wanted to ask if in the pro version the thunkable logo will disappear when the application starts.

I am very anxious to see the components that integrate Blockchain.

1 Like

@Sander

Yes! This is something we are building right now and should be launched in Thunkable PRO in the next two weeks.

Just to clarify - you will be able to swap out the Thunkable logo with a logo of your own.

Amrita

4 Likes

I hope you talk about the disappearing logo :heart_eyes:

One addition to yesterday’s release is an upgrade to variables.

What is a variable?

In app creation, variables work like containers to hold numbers, phrases, the results of a calculation, a database call, or other important values in the app, in the mobile device’s local storage or in the cloud.

Instead of repeating these values in multiple places, a variable can be used wherever it is needed in your Blocks code.

App , stored and cloud variables

When you create a variable, you’ll have the choice between an app, stored and cloud variable. All variable types work across screens and the only difference is where they are stored.

An app variable works across screens and is stored in the app itself

A stored variable also works across screens but is saved to the mobile device itself. This means that a stored variable can be retrieved from a previous session. A stored variable is similar to saving a value to Local Storage and is especially useful for retrieving a user’s previous setting.

A cloud variable also works across screens but is saved to the cloud powered by Firebase. By default, the cloud variable is saved to the Thunkable default Firebase database but you can save them to your own private Firebase database by following the instructions here. Cloud variables can be used similar to saving and retrieving values to a Realtime DB powered by Firebase and can be used in a number of applications that share data across users in the cloud.

Happy Thunking,
Albert @ Thunkable

3 Likes

To see the new variables in action, please see the updated Gram app that has implemented the stored and cloud variables.

The result is two fewer components and many, many fewer blocks as shown on the Home screen below:

Before

After

3 Likes

Hi @albert

this sounds and looks interesting to me.

Unfortunely the resolution of the PNG is to low for me to identify, what it means.

And remixing the GRAM app does not work, only viewing, but for testing I would like to remove the signIn Block.

Beneath that I have trouble with using your fresh variable design with list blocks in my project. Cant make the “insert at last” block functional

Cheers,
John

P.S.: I think, a labeling app-device-cloud or temporary-permanent-cloud instead of app-stored-cloud might be meaningful.

LATEST UPDATE: @AcrobatEpee picked the solution from the universe and brought it to earth. You can see an example image of the workaround or solution in another more specific thread:

I give up - can any great guy help me? Otherwise no coding for me today :sleepy:

UPDATE: Still coding :slight_smile:
I recommend everyone who wants to add an item to a list to use listviewer instead of list variable. just set the height to 0 (zero). Then the listitems can be used instead of a list-variable. This workaround works for me in my project, which does a SQL like sorting of objects (sort objects by price / likes / creationdate)

… but beware the bug, that adding to list for listviewer only works for > 1 item , otherwise (length of list = 1) you have to assign the list item with a different block

1 Like

Hmm…this is a bug. The new variables won’t work with list blocks that modify the list. Here is a temporary workaround:

In the Control drawer, drag out a “for each item in j” block.
Click the j dropdown, choose “rename variable” and name the variable “productList”

Go to the variable drawer, and get the set product list block, and use it like normal.

Thanks for finding the bug

ah, thanks for your help. I understand: the variable “j” is still a variable from the old ages :slight_smile: and has no bugs. Now I’m trying to get the “set object property”-block to work till one hour - still trying…

The set object property block will have the same issue. Right now you can only update the value of the new variables with the set block - other blocks that modify the value won’t work. I’m going to take a look at how to fix both scenarios. Thanks for finding these bugs!

1 Like

Great, thank you very much … How can I put my own logo?

you will be able to swap out the Thunkable logo with a logo of your own.

In the next two weeks means it is not already available sadly :slight_smile:

Thank you very much, I had not understood that part. I use the translator… :joy: