🎉 New Thunkable ✕ PRO Feature: Publish your Project as a Web App 2020-03-11

I have many apps on google play store but I’ve never been able to publish successfully to apple store. The release of the Mobile Web App option has completely changed my focus in apps development. I love it! That’s why i look forward to new feature support daily. I love how the camera component works in web app on PC and MacBook. It snaps automatically. Are you aware it does not work when the web app runs on mobile device? It prompts for permission and when enabled, it doesn’t work. I will want it to work exactly as on PC or MacBook: Auto without need for viewfinder. With viewfinder may be an option. Kindly look into this.

1 Like

Here are two images. One is what web publish shows on iPhone in safari and chrome based browsers on iOS. The other is what it should look like (screenshot from Thunkable companion which is cropped top & bottom)

Is this a known issue? Doesn’t seem to recognise as a mobile device.

Thanks.

1 Like

We fixed the issue. Please try to publish again. Thanks for reporting :slight_smile:

Best,
Wei

6 Likes

Sorted! Thank you.

1 Like

As local storage feature is not available in Thunkable Web App so stored variable isn’t working also it seems that app variable is also not working. How can we pass data from one screen to another in Web App?

1 Like

Use cloud variables for this

1 Like

Thanks, let me try

The cloud variables are not working in my scenario, When I save a cloud variable for a user then any other user can access that. For example if I save score 45 for one user and score 30 for another and both of them are playing on same time, when they move to the next screen both will see same score on their screen while the case is to let them access to their own data only.

This can be corrected by setting pathways in in the variable that include the userID

Go to the “Sandbox App”
See the screen ‘cloud counting’

1 Like

I have included the userID in my database but when user sign in the app know his userID but when move to the next screen the app forgets his userID and how to bring that userID from login screen to another

save it to a ‘stored’ variable during the signin process.

reference that variable in your cloud variable path.

like this
set CLOUD VARIABLENAME to join text (stored userID + “/SCORE”)

Yes I did the same but when I want to access the score on next screen, what should I do? How will my app’s new screen know the userID of the current user?

Thanks for your support but now I am going with a single screen instead of multiple because it looks impossible for me to solve this variable thing in multiple screens. What I am doing now is that I use multiple layouts instead of screen and for variables I am using hidden labels to save and access text from it. I hope it will work

1 Like

Getting a white screen, no blue loading circle but I have an established connection to the web app link(iOS 13.3.1 on Safari, iPhone Xr). Works fine on desktop, and my app does contain stored variables which appear to be working on desktop.

Thanks.

(edit)

Switching to private view on Safari (incognito mode) appears to show it working. However it does not work on regular non-private mode on Safari. Probably an issue on my side?

App, stored, and cloud variables should all work. If any of those three don’t work, provide a simple example project and we can take a look.

4 Likes

Hi Paul!

I mostly use local storage instead of stored variables - for publishing a successful web app, should I completely move to stored variables?

IDK if anyone else noticed, but not only can you publish as a PWA but you can also get a responsive web app! this is REALLY COOL!

I can now start working on the responsive design a litte more closely to see if I can get good looking apps on a webbrowser and phone. perhaps i will just keep 2…

Thanks again!!!

1 Like

My responsive web app ex,
using dynamic data,
https://thunk.app/web-build/index.html?webAppId=IcEp0wpGU

1 Like

Hi,

One thing I am curious to know is to do with the security of sensitive app data such as API keys/endpoints. I use external Databases a lot with my projects.

Is this data exposed or is it stored elsewhere and accessed via public endpoint?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @eoinparkinson,

The API keys are being used in the same way as in your published mobile apps made with Thunkable.

3 Likes