iOS Extensions?

In the full version of iOS Thunkable, will we be able to create and use extensions?

It will definitely take a lot of time, considering that the iOS Alpha is still taking baby steps. Note that it has been only recently that extensions were added to the stable App Inventor server. Prior to that, you had to use a separate beta server (extensions.appinventor.mit.edu, if I remember right).

2 Likes

That’s why I’m saying in the full version. It might take years to complete at this rate, slowly but surely. :slight_smile:

I remember AI2 without extensions, it wasn’t as easy to do complex things.

1 Like

It depends on the kind of support iOS provides. Swift may be the way to go, but then the learning curve will be steep for most extension devs here who are used to Java. But yes, in a (near) distant future, this may happen.

1 Like

Yes this is something we very much want to do, but it will take time.

2 Likes

Hi @thunkable,

Just curious: What language will be used for the iOS extensions? I’m guessing the newer Swift? Or maybe the older Objective-C?

Thanks!
BillG

They are using non of these languages, you may check out react-native.

2 Likes

Thanks @ILoveThunkable!
BillG

1 Like

Any news???

The main problem with adding extensions and additional functionality is associated with Apple, because the employees of this company are not going to provide anyone with the opportunity to create high-quality applications for free. Do you want to create quality applications for free or on a commercial basis for iOS? Pay at the cash desk of Apple for Mac and for everything else.

Thunkable X provides the option to not pay for a Mac. Does this suit Apple? So far it’s fine, but will Apple be happy if Thunkable X is a very good platform with which so many people can create high-quality applications for free? No, because Apple, first of all, needs money, and the applications on the App Store are needed by this company in order to make money, and not in order to make the world happy with high-quality free applications.

I think that there is a way to add source code to the project instead of using extensions, which will not contradict Apple rules. But I’m also sure that despite following the rules, Apple reserves the right to reject applications that simply do not suit them. And there are always reasons for this.