Invalid API key error when sign in / sign up

@tatiang @muneer @domhnallohanlon @darren

Hi,

I am currently facing an issue with sign in / sign up for my app. When trying to login or create a new account, I get the error ‘Your API key is invalid, please check you have copied it correctly.’ However, I have made 100% sure that I copied the API key correctly from Firebase.

I have searched this forum and have seen that people have run into similar issues but I have not seen a clear reason as to why this is occurring and how I can fix it. Below is a link to the project. Any help would be much appreciated.

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/74aaec716e7ef96c090faa5bc9fe3a7d

Thanks!

1 Like

did you check the firebase/GCP console ? if the projects there, click it check if the web app’s there. if not, create it and connect it with the newly provided API key.

privatly message @Thunkable_Staff as they could help you.

Yes, a web app has been created, I have tried making a new Firebase project entirely and copying the new API but it still did not work.

did you enter a database URL?

please help @Thunkable_Staff

try entering it again and again. this may work.

Yes I have copied the database URL.

Did you on authentication

Yes, I have followed all the steps to set up the sign in / sign up component.

I tested your app using my API key and Database URL and it is working.

One thing that worth noticing. Would you say that this situation applies to you?

he said

so your post desn’t make sense.

ok, simple steps approved we should have @Thunkable_Staff here.

What doesn’t make sense to you could make all the sense to others.
Have a nice day.

1 Like

@muneer
I have checked the server location, however, it is ‘United States (us-central1)’, so I do not think that is the problem. Would you possibly mind sharing your Firebase configurations / settings (with any details blurred out of course) so I can see if there is any discrepancies with mine?

1 Like

@Barreeeiroo @lucatunes @domhnallohanlon @tatiang @Thunkable_Staff

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Project setting

Sign in method

Web App

Sample of accounts created by the Sign In component

I think I may have discovered what the issue is. When I live test the project on my machine, the error does not appear. however, when I have shared the project link with other people and they try to run it, the error message comes up. I have just noticed the only one firebase account is allowed per project, therefore when they make a copy of the project and run it, it is not allowing the app to connect to Firebase since the Web API is already in use.

1 Like

What do you mean by copying the project?
If you mean within Thunkable then the problem is when you share a project Thunkable will automatically remove the keys. This is a security issue.

Those copying your project should use own keys unless you share the keys with them.

1 Like

Right. The other option is to publish the app with your Firebase settings and then everyone who uses the app automatically uses your settings.

1 Like