I wish to create a Search bar which will return very specific values from a GSheet

There are 3 ways how to control what components to be effected (for example, convert to capitals) and what components do not get effected.

I have demonstrated this in the following project.
https://x.thunkable.com/projectPage/61e81c46ac097800100daec1

This should answer your question about how to leave remarks field without capitalization. Again the same is true for the function that test if all fields are filled and not empty.

Hi @muneer, many thanks. I shall let you know how I get on.

Many thanks,

Andos.

1 Like

Hi @muneer, I’ve just tried “Option2” first in my project and the result now omits the “Remarks” column on the Google Sheet. However, when I type lower case into the “Remarks” field it is still converted into UPPER case and entered into my Google Sheet as such (see below):

My lower case entry into the “Remarks” input box in the app:

When I click “Save” it is converted into UPPER case:

The enter in my Google Sheet (row 1735):

Here are my blocks:

I thought put the Option2 blocks in the wrong place so I tried placing in the “When button clicked…” (AddRecBtnSave) this just negated the omission function of Option2’s blocks. See below:

=============================================================================

I then tried Option1 by adding Option1’s blocks to the “Button1 click” blocks First, with no text in the "Remarks" input box but no entry was made to the Google Sheet. (See my app image & blocks below):

Blocks:

I then tried making an entry into the “Remarks” input box and the entry was made successfully into the Google Sheet but still in UPPER case.

Am I actually placing the blocks in the correct place(s)? I really do not know what I’m doing

I am getting really confused. :worried:

Many thanks,

Andos.

1 Like

If you selected option2 then you need to do the change in TWO functions. No other changes required.

Change the AreAllFilled function and MakeAllCaps function.

Make sure the changes is what is explained in the demo project.

Thanks @muneer, I will try that.

Andos.

Hi @muneer, could you please tell me if I have the function blocks “AreAllFilled” and “MakeAllCaps” correct?

I have now decided on Option2 but when I leave the “Remarks” input box empty no entry is made to my Google Sheet. When there is text in the “Remarks” input box, the Remarks text is now showing as “lower case” but so is the “DATE” text. ( See row 1742 in my Google Sheet below:).

My blocks:

My Google Sheet:

Many thanks,

Andos.

1 Like

Dear @andos-avlog
Please next time copy only the required function or piece of blocks. Copying the whole screen makes the code unclear/blurred.

From what I see in the AreAllFilled, you are trying to check for an impossible condition.

Please look at my example and use the same type of blocks. The block you used is wrong.

Hi @muneer, my apologies. I’ve been using the view of all the blocks because I do not know where I am going wrong. I hope the image below is better.

How do I make your blocks (AddRecBtnSave) fit into the “AreAllFilled” function?

Also, is it ok to have 2 “When AddRecBtnSave click” controls for the same button?

Many thanks,

Andos.

Hi. @muneer, did you receive my previous post?

Many thanks,

Andos.

1 Like

I haven’t seen anything from you over a week.

Have you fixed this and the other function for CAPS?

Hi @muneer, obviously a misunderstanding as I have been waiting to hear from you regarding my previous 3 messages.

The CAPS issue has been resolved. However, the issue regarding the user being able to optionally leave the "Remarks" blank is not.

Currently, the issue is that no entry can be made into the Google Sheet if the “Remarks” input field is not filled in.

The problem from your last suggestion was that I cannot see a way of inserting the “AddRecBtnSave/Click” blocks into the “AreAllFilled” function block. I am also already using an “AddRecBtnSave/Click” function elsewhere. I am not sure if this is allowed. See below:

Also, is it ok to have 2 “When AddRecBtnSave click” controls for the same button?

Many thanks,

Andos.

Hi @muneer, I am still awaiting your reply.

Many thanks,

Andos.

1 Like

I’m not sure what are you waiting for from me.

You previously said that you settled for the exception method which makes sense in this case and it should work will.

You also decided not to use functions and use the code blocks directly in the button click which is a personal choice but sacrifice clarity and ease of debugging.

You also mentioned that the CAPS issue is resolved and due to the fact that the exception method would work the same in both cases the other issue should be solved in exactly the same way.

From the screenshot you provided you have completely missed up the function AreAllFilled and now it has no value but it is still used in your code.

If you do not provide clear description of the changes you made then we will work in circles.

Ok @muneer, you asked:

I replied:

Currently, the issue is that no entry can be made into the Google Sheet if the “Remarks” input field is not filled in.

The problem from your last suggestion was that I cannot see a way of inserting the “AddRecBtnSave/Click” blocks into the “AreAllFilled” function block. I am also already using an “AddRecBtnSave/Click” function elsewhere. I am not sure if this is allowed. See below:

=============================================================================

In summary, I was asking how do I use the “AreAllFilled” function? (pictured in your attached reply)

Because I was trying to add the “AddRecBtnSave” control blocks into the “AreAllFilled” function which clearly does not fit (1st image pictured above in my reply)

Based on the link (below) you sent to me, I chose “Option2” as my solution.

Shown in below image.

I would like to know how to use the "AreAllFilled"function (pictured below) you asked me about in relation to these blocks from Option2?

Many thanks,

Andos.

1 Like

You are asking the same question again. Just follow the same principle to get what you want.

See the updated demo project in page 2

Ok @muneer, I shall try this and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks,

Andos.

1 Like

Hi @muneer, I have copied your most recent suggestion and have now run into more of the same problem.

Because I had already created two “Columns” (“FVAddColumn” and “RmksColumn”) to isolate the restricted and conditioned input fields (“REG”; “C/N”; “TYPE”; “DATE”; “CALLSIGN” and “FRAME/REG”) from the unrestricted input field (“REMARKS”), I am wondering if this may be the problem.

1. When I leave a blank on any of the restricted fields (see below) and click the “Save” button, quite correctly no entry is made into the Google Sheet.

However, when I do the same again except this time I add data into the “Remarks” field (see below) and click “Save”, the entry is made into the Google Sheet displaying the blank field.

What am I doing wrong? What can’t I see it? This is very frustrating!

Could you please explain to me what is wrong with my blocks in a way that I can understand?

I feel like I’m going round in circles. Everything else is working as it should do, except for this!

Here are my blocks:

When I look at the “AreAllFilled” function it doesn’t make any sense to me. Eg. Why does the “Remarks” field have to be in there? (below:)

Just when I think I’m starting to grasp something, something else causes me to not understand the logic.

Here is the link to my project:

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/2461e3192b3971a92fb7b942170f2540

I’m really sorry to be a pain but this so frustrating!

Many thanks,

Andos.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.