How to play mp3 from Airtable

Hello, in dire need of some help from all you Thunkers -
I am trying to make a simple music player app - I would like to store the mp3s on Airtable.
When the user clicks a button it needs to retrieve the mp3 from Airtable and play it.
Would be great if I can randomise the mp3 that it pulls from a column.

Thank you legends

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 10.45.19 am

1 Like

What is in the attachment.in row 1 @carlinmclellan
Is it a cloudinary link?

2 Likes

Hi @carlinmclellan,
Maybe try rearranging the blocks like this:
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 12.05.27 pm

1 Like

2 Likes

Aha!
That works perfectly. Thanks heaps! I’ve been trying to get my head around how to do this for quite a while now, so appreciate the help.

Now I realise that it has to come from a Cloudinary URL. I thought perhaps you could take it directly from Airtable since it lets you add attachments, but looks like it needs to come from Cloudinary.

3 Likes

You can add attachments into Airtable but I think it needs to come from Cloudinary to get the URL?

Are you trying to play files that the user has recorded using the Audio Recorder component? Or are you playing files that are downloaded in your computer?

Yes , if it is a cloudinary link then it should show

No, not necessarily. I’ve made a music player where all the files are uploaded into Airtable directly.

Ah okay, so that would be a simpler workflow I’m guessing to do just in Airtable?

The files are from my computer, not from Audio Recorder.

I’m a bit stuck again because I’m trying to now do this in the Thunkable drag and drop interface and all the blocks are different…

1 Like

I could try to help out. Where are you stuck? With adding the files in your airtable? with the blocks? Please include a picture of your updated blocks.

1 Like

To be honestly I’m pretty lost with the different blocks in the new interface.
At the moment I have all the mp3s as Cloudinary URLs in Airtable… but could upload them as attachments in Airtable if that is a better way.

This is my failed attempt… lol

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 5.47.13 pm

1 Like

Do you want users to be able to upload audios? Or do you have a predetermined set of audios.

Predetermined

1 Like

Ok, then I don’t think you need to update/add values from Thunkable. You can directly add them to Airtable. Can you share a screenshot of the way your airtable is set up?

1 Like

Ok. You can change the type of the PIANO NOTES column from link to attachment, and then upload your audio files.

Thanks! And then how would I block that out?

1 Like

Then you would need to fetch a random item like how I showed you, and set your sound1’s source to the value you receive.

1 Like

The blocks with the new Drag and Drop interface are different and I can’t figure out how to do it. Would you be able to post a screenshot for me?

1 Like