How can I save an airtable row ID as a value in its corresponding row?

Hello everyone :grinning: ,
I’m making a library app which is linked with an airtable.
so basically when a user publishes a book; I want the row id of the row to also be saved
here is the screen shot :-

here I want the row id to be stored

Thanks in advance :grinning:

1 Like

Why do you want to duplicate efforts?

The row ID is always available for you but as hidden. When you use the get row block you will see the row ID.

You can also use the list of values and choose the column ID showing first in the list

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion; but I’ll come deeper to the problem; so basically there is a screen which will display all the books (using DVL) and the user can search a book using a text input. (the searched item is displayed using List Viewer) Now the problem is when the user clicks in a text item, I want the user to navigate to a screen called Info (Info screen- which displays the details about the book using row id). And thats why i want the row id to be stored. Hope you understand the issue I’m facing.
Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

If you insist in saving the row ID then you need to do it this way

The create row block will return a row ID which you should use to update the record having this row ID and save the row ID in the column you want.

1 Like

When you click on an item in a DVL, the event block gives you the row ID. So I agree with @muneer that you don’t really need to store them all. Just pass that value in a variable to another screen.

1 Like

@tanishq or you can make it automatically appear once the row is created on airtable itself; try this method -

1. Go to your airtable base, right click on the ID column name, and click customize field type.

2. Now change the field type of the column from single line text to Formula type.

3. Enter RECORD_ID() as the formula and click save. You’ll see the column populate automatically once you save. Now, everytime a new record gets created through thunkable, the recordID will get populated automatically.

Now, you don’t need to add an update row/cell block in thunkable after creating row, hence saving execution time. Let me know if this works for you :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks @kartik14 , That did work for me but I want the text items to navigate according to the row id as well How can I do that?
Screen Shot :-

You are right @kartik14 but this only works when using Airtable. If, as part of the project, you need a local table or if you decide to move to Google sheet then this will not solve the issue.

Nevertheless, the row ID is always available with the record and saving it again is just redundancy. You can use it the project without the need to save it to the column as it is available anyway but hidden.

2 Likes

There are either ways to do so, I followed @muneer 's way. Thanks @kartik14 @muneer @tatiang for helping me :grinning:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.