Everything you need to know about the API 29 Update

Even I am a Malayali!

1 Like

well i updated and a bunch of people complaining about crashes i am just directing them download the previous version from pureapk

Hello Mikas_3D, Iā€™m trying to publish my app in Play Store, but thunkable is exporting to API Level 28, Google is requiring level 29 now, there is some way to export in pureapk using level 29?

hey i never publish to pureapp they just took my app so i just send people there who was not afraid

Hi @greatmanobijrky,

Firstly, please edit your post to meet the Community Guidelines.

Onwards with your issue, it does not seem like this is related to the API 29 upgrade. Can you please create a new topic describing in detail what is wrong, and if possible some screenshots or a project link.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hello @eoinparkinson, some news related to the API 29 upgrade? I need to upload a new App to Play Store but I cannot do that yetā€¦ Iā€™m waiting this release to finish my project

Hi @poveronaxg,

I only know from what has been posted in this topic. As mentioned in the initial post, the upgrade to API 29 for Thunkable X relies on a framework called Expo, which currently only supports API 28. Unfortunately this is not in the hand of the Thunkable team, and everyone is anxiously waiting for this upgrade to come through. The update should be good before the Google Play update deadline of September, meaning publishing updates for an app will not have any interruption.

Your best protocol is to watch this post for updates.

Hey @poveronaxg, our original estimate still stands:

As and when we know more weā€™ll update this post so that everyone is on the same page.

Can you tell us a bit more about this new app? Have you published other apps already?

1 Like

Good news. The Expo team has fixed this issue for the upcoming SDK 39.

2 Likes

Hello,

There is an issue with APK release (Thunkable X).
Google Play is requiring API level 29 while Thunkable apk is targetting API level 28.

Any solution please?

Thanks,
Sam

1 Like

Thunkable staffs say the API level 29 update will be ready in a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Thank you for your update!
Great to hear although two is relatively too long as I need to release a couple of apps :confused:

In a couple of weeks? OMGā€¦

Hey Sam, moving your question over to this topic that we created before this requirement came into effect. Can you tell me a little more about the ā€œcouple of appsā€ you are hoping to release? What sort of user testing have you done with them so far?

@Michael_Rogulla, as you can see from the post above, this only affects new apps and, unfortunately, is completely outside our control. Weā€™re trying our best to keep everyone up to date with whatā€™s happening here.

From your reaction is sounds like you have a new app release planned? How long have you been working in this?

Hi @domhnallohanlon,

today (august 6th) I wanted to create a new app in google play store, and today I got the response that API 29 is required. I started this app 4 weeks ago and today I feel like giving it to some test users. My plan was to test it and afterwards, fill the database (airtable) with data and to release the app in the stores in october 2020.

My reaction is triggered by the fact that it looks like the Thunkable team got a surprise from google. Was this API 29 - thing unexpected?

Hi @domhnallohanlon,
Are there any updates on the release date?
Best wishes and thanks for the hard work :+1:

No, not at all - weā€™ve know about it since last year, and I can also tell you that there will be an update to API 30 in Autumn 2021 too. As outlined above, the issue here isnā€™t with us not being ready or not getting it fixed on time, but rather one of the frameworks that we use to make cross-platform updates possible hasnā€™t been updated yet. As you can imagine, they have some users too that are affected by this too and they are eager to see the API 29 update too.

We can arrange a test here with the Community Testers, how about something like that? Testing typically takes a week or two I find.

@Ironchorch_Yo, no, not since yesterday, no. Still expecting it to be a couple of weeks. Weā€™ll have a clearer picture by August 17th. Do you have an app or launch plan ready to go?

Again, weā€™re not in a position to do any work in this - weā€™re waiting on a third party to complete their update and when weā€™ve merged this then we can start work on the Thunkable side of things.

3 Likes

@domhnallohanlon I have a case in that my app stopped work in a customer Android 8 Moto G after my last update in Google play (week ago). Do you believe that ā€œThunk API situationā€ could be associated with? Tks, dude.

@jefmor - itā€™s very unlikely to be honesty with you.

Can you share any crash report or error logs that you have with us so we can take a closer look?

Also, have you been able to reproduce the crashing behaviour on your end?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hello Thunkers,

Any update from Expo?
We really need to get those APKs at API 29.
Thanks!