Everything you need to know about the API 29 Update

Hey Thunkers!

As many of you are already aware (and some of you remember from last year) the Google Play store will soon be updating their Play Store Policies:

https://developer.android.com/distribute/play-policies

This will affect new apps and published apps in slightly different ways.

New Apps

Anyone publishing a new app, on or after August 3rd, 2020 must have an APK file that targets Android 10 (API 29)

Upgrading Apps

If you’re upgrading an existing app, you have until November 2nd, 2020 before this requirement comes into effect.

Essentially, if you have published an app to the Play Store, you can update it, without any trouble, until early November.

What API does Thunkable target?

At the moment, we’re targeting Android 9 or API 28, which we upgraded to around this time last year. One of the main frameworks that we use, Expo, is still at level 28. They are working hard to get everything ready for API 29. Once Expo has been updated, we need a few days ourselves to update and test our own system. As a “guesstimate” it might take another week or two to get updated to level 29.

Bottom Line?

1. Publish as a Web App and Publish to the iOS App store are completely unaffected by this. This specifically relates to Android apps, published to Google Play for the first time, after August 3rd.

2. Any published app can be updated until November 2nd, 2020.

FAQs

“Does Thunkable know about the API 29 update?”

We do.

“When will APKs built with Thunkable target API 29?”

As soon as Expo has been updated to target API 29, and Thunkable has upgraded to this version of Expo. We expect this to take a week or two.

“Will Classic be updated to API 29?”
Support for Classic ended in 2019. This update will be for Thunkable only.

10 Likes

How can I get API 29 ? I have to upload my release on Google Play Store.

Please can you help me?

Avvisi

L’attuale livello API target della tua app è 28, ma il livello API target minimo deve essere 29 per garantire che l’app sia basata sulle API più recenti ottimizzate in termini di sicurezza e buone prestazioni.

A partire dal mese di agosto del 2020, le nuove app devono avere come target minimo la versione di Android 10 (livello API 29).
A partire dal mese di novembre del 2020, gli aggiornamenti delle app devono avere come target almeno la versione Android 10 (livello API 29).

hi sir can get your whatsapp number i have a question

Warnings
Your app currently targets API level 28 and must target at least API level 29 to ensure it is built on the latest APIs optimized for security and performance.

From August 2020, new apps must target at least Android 10 (API level 29).
From November 2020, app updates must target Android 10 (API level 29).

Tip: Change your app’s target API level. Learn how.

how can i solve this

4 Likes

Same problem for me…How can I fix it?

I have to upload a release.

Thanks

1 Like

Api level 29 is requesting google play store after august. How do I increase my app to API level 29?

2 Likes

@pathumrupasinghe674h, that’s something we’re working on at the moment, we’ll let you know when it’s ready.

How many apps will you need to update?

At the moment there is one app

I’m in the same situation.

2 Likes

@viverealisbonao9 @brnyza4z5 @pathumrupasinghe674h @pathumrupasinghe674h @thottiyilabhilashhd7 @lamagalhaes Please take a look at the first post here please, hopefully I’ve addressed all you questions in the points above.

2 Likes

Thanks, do your best :pray:t6:

1 Like

Hola tenia pensado publicarla, la semana que viene, porque estor terminando los ultimos retoques, crees que podre publicarla el 1 de agosto?

so i should update my APP in Google play now? i have an update but i was waiting for the next week or so

Hi @kizzy ,

I had given incorrect info earlier, so I’m going to quote directly from the link in the original post!

“By November 2, 2020 , all apps that are being updated must target at least Android 10 (API level 29). Until then, new apps and app updates must target at least Android 9 (API level 28).”

So it seems that if your app is already published, you can publish updates to that app with no interruption. The API 29 deadline will only affect new apps in August. You will have to update your app to target API 29 by November. Android apps built with Thunkable will meet this target by then!

1 Like

Hey @francabral, whenever you feel you are ready, you can submit your app for publishing on any day you like.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

I submitted 2 days ago. But still not published app. Its showing pending publish

I submitted yesterdey, now I’m only waiting like you.

@thottiyilabhilashhd7 @thottiyilabhilashhd7 - yes, but you have successfully submitted your APK files, that’s the main thing.

These apps will now be reviewed by Google and you shouldn’t have any issues because you’re comfortably in before the August 3rd deadline.

You can see in the notification @thottiyilabhilashhd7 that reviews are taking longer than usual as many staff are now working from home, please be patient.

1 Like

Hi! I would like to make the updates as soon as possible but I don’t know if it is recommended due to the errors of the last updates.

There are crashes on a lot of devices.
Do you know approximately when this is going to be solved?