[Completed November 2023] IAP Component Updates (Android Only)

Hello All :slight_smile: I wanted to bring your attention to an important update regarding apps on the Google Play Console:

As of August 2, 2023, all new apps must utilize Billing Library version 5 or newer, and by November 1, 2023, all updates to existing apps must also be using Billing Library version 5 or newer.

For those of you who already have an app published on the Play Store, don’t worry - you can continue to make updates to your existing app(s).

However, if you plan to publish a new app with the In-App Purchase (IAP) component after August 1, 2023, we strongly recommend that you publish a version of the app to the store before this deadline. Once your app is published, you’ll be able to continue making updates as needed.

Currently, the billing library version we are using is not compliant with Google Play guidelines (version 4). But, I want to assure you that our team is actively working on a new version of the IAP component. We expect to release it sometime during the second half of August.

Thank you for your patience with this matter, and if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to us. Together, we’ll ensure a smooth transition to the latest Billing Library version.

3 Likes

Is this done?

Hi there @appbaba, we are still working on updating the IAP components and are still on schedule for a release later this month.

Thank you for your patience!

1 Like

Hi Thunkers, is there any news about in app purchase Billing Library version update?
issue>>
We’ve detected that one or more of the app bundles included in this release are using the following Play Billing Library versions

Your help appreciated <3

Hi @shrkaltd, thanks for reachout out about this. We are unfortunately running a few weeks behind on updating the version 5. We anticipate the release coming out around the middle of September.

Thanks for your patience!

thank you Matt, and we are looking forward the updates <3 your help appreciated

I’m also waiting for the update. It’s quite time consuming to maintain two versions of the project - one with IAP for iOS, and the second without IAP for Android. I hope you release the update next week.

Hello Thunkers we are in the middle of Sep, any updates regarding the IAP?

Apologies on the delay for this. Feature testing has been taking a bit longer than expected.

Looking at the first week of October for the updated IAP library.

Is this related to an issue I am experiencing on the Play Store:

You’ve been granted an extension until November 1, 2023 to update your app to comply with some target API level requirements.

From November 1, 2023, if your target API level is not within 1 year of the latest Android release, you won’t be able to update your app.

Hi @finbarr.mccarthytl32, no this is not related to that update.

What you are referring to is Google’s updated target API requirements. They seem to have offered you an extension.

Starting August 31, 2023:

New apps must target Android 13 (API level 33) or higher; except for Wear OS apps, which must target Android 11 (API level 30) or up to Android 13 (API level 33).
Existing apps must target API level 31 or above to remain available to users on devices running Android OS higher than your app’s target API level. Apps that target API level 30 or below (target API level 29 or below for Wear OS), will only be available on devices running Android OS same or lower than your apps’ target API level.
You’ll be able to request an extension until November 1, 2023, if you need more time to update your app. You’ll be able to access your app’s extension forms in Play Console in early August if you are impacted, via the Policy status page by clicking through to the relevant warning or issue.

This is the release from the Play Store in full:

If you app has been rejected by Google for this reason, you can simply publish a new update of your app and that will automatically target Android 13/API 33.

I’m keeping an eye on this one…

Updates?

Any Updates? we are at the 2nd week of October for the updated IAP library.
I’ll have to refund my client

Understand your frustration here. Testing out this new library has been difficult–imagine replacing the engine on a car with a whole new one, it’s an intricate process and lots of tests are involved before sending it back out on the road.

My hope is that we’ll have IAP back and working again for Android in a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Hi Matt! Is there any news regarding the update?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

On track for release by the end of the month.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
The update for our IAP blocks is now complete and publishing with In App Purchase from now on will update your Google Billing Library 5.0.

However, with this update, the IAP blocks and order of operations for publishing with IAP is a bit different now.

It is imperative that you follow the steps outlined below in the order in which they’re listed.

This documentation is written with the assumption that you are publishing to both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. If this isn’t accurate ignore the platform-specific instructions for the other platform. You can find all of these instructions with further details in our Docs but I wanted to post the overview here in case there are any questions.

1. Publish your Thunkable project WITHOUT in-app purchase blocks to the Apple App Store and/or Google Play Store.

2. Configure your product(s).

• Google Play Store (Android)

OR

• Apple App Store (iOS)

1. Complete the RevenueCat configuration.

2. Complete the Thunkable configuration.

3. Add in-app purchase blocks to your Thunkable project.

4. Publish to Apple App Store and/or Google Play Store again, but this time with the in-app purchase blocks.

is revenuecat compulsary?