Cloud variables misunderstood

hi

I would like to understand why these 2 series of blocks
return null

i got the cloud value in a label this way

1 Like

My guess is that it has something to do with the data type represented by the value at /tasts/task[app variable tp] in your Firebase console. Can you post a screenshot of your Firebase data structure?

How did you initialize app variable tp? What value does it have when you run this code? Are there any spaces or special characters in that value?

What value did you get for Label11's Text?

Have you tried this without the app variable? That is, instead of joining app variable tp, just typing the exact name of the Firebase node (e.g. “taskONE”)? What happens when you try to set the cloud variable that way?

1 Like

hi
here is the db structure

the variable app variable tp is a kind of index which allows me to differentiate the tasks with a input text

1 Like

Okay, you posted a screenshot of the Firebase data and answered a couple of my questions. Once I know the other answers, I can help you more.

1 Like

The app variable tp get the good value i set in the input text
The exact name of the node IS task44, task220 and so on

1 Like

What happens if you set the cloud variable “/tasks/task44” to something else like 50? Does that work? Without any variables at all. Just a text block that says “/tasks/task44”. Does it change the value in the database? Please post a screenshot of that if you try it.

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before but… if you cannot change Firebase data, you may have a rule issue with your database. What are your Firebase rules? Are you authenticating/signing in to Firebase in this project?

1 Like

Hi

thank you for paying me attention in fact the only difficulty I encounter is that I do not understand why the returned value is null whatever the node or the value given to the cloud variable

1 Like

I have this data

So I did this codes

This is the screen before clicking the button

And after clicking the button

Can you do the same?
I mean like this

And let us know what you get.

Of course this is only after you provide the Firebase API Key and Database URL in the project settings.

2 Likes

hi

I will admit the result without going any further I do not really create an object it has no property

This is correct and the blocks should retrieve the value.

By the way, you do not need the first /. You can do this

The important thing is that tasks has to be a top level key (also called main bucket)

What happens when you use @muneer’s blocks?

We keep asking you and you do not answer. It’s very hard to help you!

1 Like

hi
I felt like I had answered.
clouds variable are powerful but some aspects are not easy to understand
I understand the structure proposed by muneer.
the draft database that I had proposed I dropped it because I just have to test the existence of a cloud variable and as the node does not exist it returns me the value null and that I understand
Thank you for your support

2 Likes

Hey @bibbi! :wave:

You said it right! the cloud variables are :muscle:!

Do you still have any remaining questions related to their use? Are you still experiencing issues returning values to the app when using the cloud variables?

hi

for now it seems to be fine
on the other hand, I would like to create a table of 20 rows by 3 columns and it gets stuck
thank you

1 Like

Cloud variables are used with Firebase. Firebase uses JSON and objects but not tables. What data source are you wanting to use for the table? Google Sheets? AirTable? A Local data source?

Hi

I said table i thought board (data aligned in rows and columns)

I need to align data in a listviewer this way

Xxxxxxx 00:00. 00:00

Each line has a title on the left and 2 series of Times
I used space and a loop which takes into account the length of title afortunatly times are not aligned

1 Like

If you start with the two times and make the title in the last it will be aligned.

00:00, 00:00 Xxxxxxxx

Hi

It’s less easy to read but it’s aligned
there is no way to scroll two listview at the same time?

1 Like

No.

But in the StP UI, you can make something like a Data Viewer List using cloning which is not yet available in DnD UI.

does that mean rewrite my tiny application?

1 Like