What Thunkable X needs right now!

What Thunkable X needs right now:

A backpack or similar way to copy between apps - this will help single users and teams.

Ads on the apps. Mama needs to make some money!

Both of these are available in classic - so let’s go, Thunkable!

1 Like

You should take a look at the release notes
https://docs.thunkable.com/thunkable-cross-platform/release-notes

1 Like

Hey @Lin,

Thanks for your enthusiastic feedback! While there is no backpack for transferring between apps, you can copy and paste blocks between screens in a single app with the standard keyboard shortcuts. If you have a large body of code you want to copy then I’d recommend you make a copy and edit the copied version.

As I’ve mentioned already today, AdMob is on the way, but here are some tips to get “AdMob-ready”.

@Mark & @domhnallohanlon,

I realise this horse is thoroughly and completely dead, but I’ll beat it a little longer… (hehe)

Do you have a time estimate for when this critical feature will be finished in X?

Thanks!

Brian,

Assuming that you are talking about the backpack, I’m afraid that it is not currently on our list of things for the short or medium term.

That said, we are actively working on a number of features that will make it easier to share parts of apps (e.g. screens, components and bocks) between projects. These should be rolling out starting in the new year, so stay tuned!

-Mark

2 Likes

That’s all I’m really asking… The terminology and/or mechanism isn’t that important, but being able to create modules that can be pulled together to make larger programs is absolutely crucial.

Thanks!

1 Like

Great to hear that we’re on the same page!

-Mark

1 Like

Any progress updates? My projects are completely stalled while awaiting these features.

Which features @itmanager? The original question was about copying blocks and AdMob… both of these have been available in Thunkable X for a while now.

Sharing blocks/screens between projects. (Modular functionality)

Thanks!

Got it.

Can you tell me a little more about the specific way you’re looking to implement these modules? I might be able to suggest a workaround if I know a bit more about what you’re trying to achieve!

I want to be able to create lots of little blocks/screens that can be included in larger projects without recreating them.

1 Like

Thanks, I understood that from your first post. But when you said

I was wondering if there was a specific project you’re working on, or a client that you’re working with that you need help with?

I get that you would like a collection of reusable modules (these are on our roadmap for 2020) but in the meantime, is there anything in the current version of the platform that’s stopping you from moving forward with your projects?

Yes, I created some rather sophisticated functions that among others, allow reading/writing Google sheets. However, I currently cannot import these into my main projects, and I certainly don’t want to recreate them each time I want to use them.

1 Like

I would love to learn how to read/write with google sheets. @itmanager you should do a tutorial! I am sure others would appreciate that feature

2 Likes

+1 for a tutorial :+1:

So, if I understand correctly, you have UI elements and blocks that you would like to reuse from project to project?

1 Like

you mean like extensions made out of thunkable blocks itself? so the comunity can share it ? and of course you’ll reuse them among your apps?

this is similar to remix an app :thinking:

It would be great to have a backpack like in scratch. You could store blocks of code, sprite types and more, and it would be available no matter which app you were editing so you could copy things from one app to another – https://scratch.mit.edu/.

2 Likes

Yes, but it would need to be an improvement to Scratch’s backpack which has no organization whatsoever. You drag sets of blocks in and there’s no way to label them or sort them. So yes to your suggestion but a better version of it. :wink:

No, because remixing an app means you only use that one app. I want to be able to import different items from different small projects into one main project… modular programming.

1 Like