Thunkable X Google Maps: Remove Markers

more than half a year has passed and I just realized you still can’t remove a marker… really sad that you seem to focus just on making money instead of implementing essential features :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Hi @Chris , I agree with you that we lack essential features. Mobile Apps can guide us to places we like, and a map needs some basic functions (sadly enough, they exist in Thunkable Classic):

• add / delete / manage markers
  • style markers (at least colors)
  • markers should respond to touch
  • they should move, if the phone moves
1 Like

I also don’t get why it is not even possible to add a marker on touch event… usually this should be a few lines of code… :frowning:

1 Like

is thunkable X every gonna get updated to include these features?

does not seem likely to happen soon… :frowning:

i’d even take a workaround for removing map markers, such as killing entire map and redrawing… something. Hinders the useablity of the map control without the ability to remove map markers… such as trying to show locations in a users vacinity and update the locations based on their proximity to the user as they move or set a radius to search around them

It’s such a shame. Me and my team are working on a pubic transportation project, and we are having a really hard time because many features are missing. :confused:

I’d like to see custom map markers!

2 Likes

Sounds like a great idea for an app @team.cyb3rgirlzqh - just wondering what you’ve developed so far and what you user feedback has been like?

What sort of feature requests are you seeing from your users at the moment?

:+1:

Mark wrote a tutorial for this quite a while ago, and it’s also part of this sample app:

These blocks, in. conjunction with a list of markers, can be used to create/update/delete markers, right?

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 17.06.30

1 Like

I can confirm that what @domhnallohanlon domhal is saying is currently workable!

2 Likes

I confirm that at this very moment I can:

• add markers
  • delete all markers
  • get the index of a “pressed” marker

With this, I am able to build an app with a good map functionality, it is not perfect right now. And I would like to point out, that we are working with google maps, so a user is able to:

• rotate maps (with two fingers)
  • see buildings
  • modify the look of the map (with a JSON string)
  • see traffic (as an option)
  • and more …

That said, I would like to say “Thank you” to the Thunkable Team.

To improve the maps I would like to see:

• customizable markers (different colors of a marker, text options like URLs or pictures?)
  • icons for two or more places, that means: to show a location that has two or more points-of-interest
  • an easy way to determine the pressed marker (right now it is a function that searches the nearest position)

Greetings, Mikel.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @Michael_Rogulla!

as 1 workaround, since you already know the coordinate for the marker, you could include this info on the popup.

here is one example form a flight tracker

1 Like

Hi @jared,

yes I know this technique. I suggested to implement a block that gives you the number (or name or whatever) of the pressed marker. I think, that should be much easier for many developers.

2 Likes

I agree.
I too would love to see the custom markers.

thanks for the response!

2 Likes

Hey! Sorry for sounding a little bit harsh on our first comment, but we are actually working on developing this app because our team is participating in Technovation 2020, and I guess that reaction was the anxiety fever! Our apologies again.

So our app’s main purpose is helping people in our country get oriented with the bus lines, timetables and every info that they need. So we are actually working with polylines and we watched so many tutorials and stuff but still can’t find the blocks in Thunkable. Our two main requests are: give us a hand with the polyline thing and please tell us the way we can make each marker of a different bus line, with a different color. That’s our request :). It has also happened that the app viewer starts crashing and doesn’t work for a few hours to a few days.

Please if the code IS in your app, guide us or if not please let us know or try to update the app…

Thank you,

Cyb3rgirlz :slight_smile:

1 Like

here’s an example of joining 3 points (with markers) using polyline. you can change the width and color of the line (see strokeWidth and strokeColor)

3 Likes

i used basic version for make app .it Bester. many function loss from x version

1 Like

Si può

1 Like

It can

1 Like