[Superpost] How can I download a .ipa file of my app from Thunkable?

This is a question for support but most likely has to do with Apples strict rules about who is allowed to and how they are allowed to distribute apps. It’s also easier for pretty much anybody to get the apps on their phones this way. Not everyone has a mac computer but may have an iphone. This would make it impossible to do anything with their IPA.

However, you can upload your android apps to your android phone with either a mac/windows/linux setup. It’s a pain but is actually a very nice feature.

If you want the .ipa, you could download iMazing. I believe it is a 1-time 40$ fee. This will allow you to rip .IPA’s of any app on your iphone, and allows you to load it onto any other iPhone. All without jailbreaking (i think)

1 Like

It seems that only ipa files of the app can be downloaded

I developed a proof-of-concept / tech-demo app I don’t intend to release on the app stores but I would still like to share with all Thunkers. Am I allowed to share the links to the APK and IPA files for educational purposes with anyone to download? I would appreciate an official answer from anyone at Thunkable.

Would it just be easier to distribute a the URL to your project page?

I wouldn’t like to reveal the code. My point is to motivate people by showing them what’s possible with Thukable, not how. Otherwise they will just copy and paste the code instead of investing time to learn how to overcome limitations.

My Mom told me it isn’t nice to tease. :rofl:

It is a YouTube player… maybe :wink: And no, it does not use webview or any other external service. All voodoo magic gets executed on the device.

how about share just the apk file? That should work. We will be able to install on our devices and try it without seeing the inside.

Hi @nppvice. My main concern is around the iOS app because in the download email I received from Thunkable I read the following:

“Please do not share the link. If you want to invite others to test your project, please enroll in the Apple Developer Program and use Apple’s TestFlight program.”

Now, I don’t want to be a troublemaker so I prefer to ask before I do something that will break the rules. As for the Android APK, I assume it is not a problem to share it but I would like to share both at the same time.

K

Feel free to share your .apk @Deluxe but do not share the .ipa link.

Please let us know who we can make the wording of that text cleaner if you feel it was ambiguous.

Thanks

We’ve been over this ground several times before - we’re mere mortals and not robots, sometimes we don’t work all weekend, so if you post on Saturday/Sunday staff response times will be a little slower than usual. Will try harder to make this clearer in the #communityguidelines when I get into work tomorrow morning.

1 Like

Hi @domhnallohanlon. It is not ambiguous at all, hence my request for permission before I posting it. Question: Does this restriction also apply outside the Thunkable forums?

I will go ahead and post the APK as advised.

Thank you very much
K

Absolutely - this is a requirement from Apple and not Thunkable. As the owner of your project you can test it on your device, but it is for personal use only.

“Please do not share the link” means please do not share the link anywhere.

1 Like

Hello,
I need help, when I get the link to download the app for iOS does not download the file, is it only possible to do it from the iPhone?

Another thing, when I click on publish nothing happens. How does the transition from thunkable and appstore take place?
I’m trying everything but I can not understand.
Thanks in advance to everyone.

I am facing a similar problem.

Hi there. Apologies for your confusion.

Yes, you can only download an iOS app to an iPhone or iPad. We don’t share with you the raw .ipa file itself.

To publish, you will have to follow the instructions below carefully:

https://docs.thunkable.com/publish-to-app-store-ios

Hope this helps!
Albert @ Thunkable

wow this just solved my probs thanks

But for iOS, you cannot download .ipa directly. I have found the .json and found the .ipa file in the download link for iOS.

Thanks,
Moses

In the case of iOS, ipa files should not be distributed, it is against apple’s rules. You can download to test on your own device, but if you want to share with others, you should publish your app, not download it.

3 Likes