[Solved] Jan. 2020 Thunkable X Blocks Update

Hi Thunkers! :wave:

As you may know, creators have been reporting that their blocks screens slowed down a lot when they had a lot of blocks in their app.

The good news is, we have just published an update that prevents a lot of this slowdown! This makes a lot of projects more useable.

Unfortunately, we are also hearing that some creators are having unexpected problems in their app projects that seem to be related to this update.

If you are experiencing something like this, please fill out this form. This will be the best way for us to collect data about this. You are welcome to comment on this post, ideally leave a comment and a form response!

I know that a few posts have been made about this topic, so I’m going to merge them here. If future posts are made about this, I will also merge them into this post. This is just to make sure that all of the relevant information is kept in one place.

We will post updates in this thread as they come up.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Edit 1: if you are experiencing such behavior, please test if

1. Refreshing the page or
  2. Doing a hard refresh in your browser helps at all.

Thanks!

Edit 2: doing things slowly will reduce your chance of encountering an issue. Leave a few seconds between actions if your project is affected by this behavior. Thanks @jared and @dns.prado.s3vy!

Edit 3:
It seems that 4 discrete issues have been identified. Here they are along with their current status:

1. Variable blocks menu being compressed - RESOLVED
  2. Variables being renamed with UUIDs - RESOLVED
  3. ‘Could not save your changes’ error (sometimes accompanied by a whitescreen error) - RESOLVED (make sure you are using a supported browser: Chrome, Firefox or Safari)
  4. (Global) Variables not being visible across screens - RESOLVED

Please tag me in a reply if you are still experiencing an issue that was marked RESOLVED in this list.

4 Likes

Hey all,

I’m facing an issue today where my variables turn into random-looking strings of digits. I have no idea what they are or why it’s happening, it tends to be when I switch between screens on when looking at the blocks. It also seems to be tied into things not working - such as when they turn to random strings, the liveview on mobile fails to show lists.

Hope somebody can shed some light on the issue!

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi.
Can someone tell me what to do, my browser is crashing all the time.
I think I am using the newest version of the program.

Here is a link to a lillte video of what happens. And the same happens all the time.

3 Likes

I have the same problem?

2 Likes

I think it was because I had two buttons with same name. Check that. Normally there is a warning when you namethe buttons But in this case there was two button with same name in design mode. And they where NOT marked with red as normal…

1 Like

Youu are not alone. I am having the same issue when i make too many changes too fast

2 Likes

Hi @funhall @kef4etvgsg3i and @jared

We’re looking into this at the moment - will keep you all updated in this thread as soon as we know more.

Thanks

2 Likes

Thank you @domhnallohanlon go team @thunkable!

3 Likes

Copying and pasting a variable to another screen will result in the image shown.

2 Likes

Variables without copy paste also changed.
It looks like an error.

This phenomenon caused a phenomenon that could not work.

1 Like

Everytime I add a block or change visibility or anything related to blocks the changes do not take place or show up on Thunkable live and when I refresh the changes disappears but any changes made in design works and shows can you check it out

1 Like

Hi @farhanlatif027i3df

I am experiencing the same issues. As you can confirm in https://docs.thunkable.com/release-notes there was an update yesterday, and thus it might be solved soon enough.

2 Likes

Thank you for letting me know :innocent:

2 Likes

Help! Today, on about half my screens, all of the stored variable names in my blocks overnight switched to 32-character codes. This happened overnight without my changing anything. App variables all OK.

The correct names appear on the Home page where they are initialized and on about half my screens.

They are fine in a copy I made at the very end of yesterday.

2 Likes

@dns.prado.s3vy @chris.bailey230698t @jared @mom7667yafy @funhall @kef4etvgsg3i @farhanlatif027i3df @dlmetzgerbcch

Can you all please fill in this form to help us get as much info as possible on the issue.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Done :heavy_check_mark: I also included the status bar color issue

I also made my comment on the form, but I must make an amend: If I do things slowly, the page does not crash!

2 Likes

@jared had mentioned this as well, I’ll reflect it in the post. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Guys,

When will you add a way to download and backup our projects like in Classic? So far if there is any failure in the system all our work is gone :thinking::grimacing:

That said errors can always happen but right now I don’t see any way of protecting my work against server failure, platform issues,…

Best, Chris

1 Like

Also, I recommend users to avoid deleting blocks without finishing the major block construction. Do all you got to do and after the major block is finished and page did not crash, then you start deleting the garbage.

1 Like