[Solved] Android Version Name and Version Number

I know that theres alot of topics about these, i read alot on this forum. Tried even on ThunkableDocs but im still confused and im the kind i wanna understand and not just take the things the way they are.
So:
screen
On my 1st app, these were set by default at 1/1
Now im on my way to release next version of app to be published as an update
Whats Version name and what do i have to put there ?
I guess that Version code will be 2. (but its still unclear for me about Version name) :thinking:
Thank you and i apologize if i spam again with a problem discussed alot (but not found by me)

HI @mimostel
You can keep it as 2 and 2 for both or you can click on the auto increment switch so that that gets updated everytime you download an app

2 Likes

Thank you @overturner for fast reply … and my guess is that these are only to keep track here, on thunkable about app… The important thing is the version number you enter on GooglePlay developer console when you upload next .aab as an update, right ?

Well , actually if you dont update on google play it will automatically change the version number and name to what is there on thunkable
also if you dont update the version number and name , google play will say something like version number invalid

1 Like

… but my confusion still persists :rofl: … why need 2 details ? (name AND code). Why not only Version number ? (as on iOS)

I dont know :grinning:

As I understand it, Version Name is the main number displayed in the Play Store. The Version Code is basically an internal coding number Google uses to make sure every version published is unique. So, if you publish an update to version 2 but don’t want to update the Version Name to 3, you can do a Version Name of 2 with a Version Code of 3. However, the Version Code MUST update. So, if you did that and then release a version 3, you might end up with a Version Name of 3 with a Version Code of 4. My next release will be 4 and 6 respectively.

Hope that helps a little!

https://developer.android.com/studio/publish/versioning

4 Likes

In the grand scheme of things, Google does it better, in my opinion. I can release version 1, make minor updates and have a name of 1 and code of 7, then release version 2 with a code of 8. It lets me know what update I’m on. For iOS, once you release version 1, you MUST publish a new version number to go live on the app store. So, if I do a minor update to version 1, I MUST make my update version 2 to publish. With Google, I can keep version (name) 1 and push as many updates under that version by simply updating the code number.

1 Like

This really makes sense to me now. Thanks

3 Likes