Setting Expectations

Hi!
I’ve spent a little time getting to know Thunkable. I’ve setup a login process and started working on data input, learning along the way. I have already identified some limitation of the platform such as deleting a row from a local database and am reading that response time might become an issue. Of course there do seem to be some good work arounds for limitations when they pop up. Before I really dive into this I’m hoping someone could help me determine whether my expectations of what is possible align with what this platform is actually capable of. Much thanks in advance for any guidance?

I am looking to produce a marketable, specialized journaling app. For each journal entry the app would record a few numerical values, a user captured photo, and a block of text. Users would have the option of reviewing their entries by “searching” by date or by matching numerical values. The app would also provide some basic summary statistics comparing the current numerical values to those of the past. At this point dealing with photos seems most challenging.

If this platform is not a good fit, other recommendations? I have done some Java programming in the very distant past but am currently only comfortable with coding in Program R. I may also be open to paying for basic development but I would want to be able to maintain improve the app myself.

Thanks again!
Sincerely,
Brett

Hi,

All the functions you describe can be implemented on Thunkable X, but I want to tell you that the scope of visual programming platforms using blocks is limited to learning and creating applications for yourself. These platforms are not intended for developing professional commercial public applications with a user-friendly and responsive interface and functionality. If you need a more or less good application, then you can’t do without programming languages. If you need a quality app, it’s Kotlin and Swift. If this is too difficult for you, then try React Native.

Thinkable X features can be viewed here:

https://x.thunkable.com/projects/5d70f93f8a62b4079eedaff2/project/properties/designer

@actech really disappointing to hear you say this, there are lots of Thunkers who have built amazing apps for their businesses and for their clients using Thunkable. Many of them have tens of thousands of downloads and are continually pushing the limits of what’s possible with the platform.

@trogonstartarotp2y4v the app that you’ve described sounds very achievable with Thunkable. To get a sense for what other have build I’d recommend that you take a look at the following:

App Name App Store Play Store Developer
Behavior Report Card iOS Android @jared
CaravanMate iOS Android @towball
Carded iOS Android @eoinparkinson
DéambUL iOS Android Université Laval
Mish Mash Monster iOS Android @mythi
SendTh.at iOS Android @darren
Veggie Alternatives iOS Android @ayushapps
Wanna Draw iOS Android @auditydraws
Yesterday’s Weather iOS Android @truedrew

There are plenty more, these are just the ones I thought of off the top of my head.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if there’s anything else I can help you with.

6 Likes

thanks!

Thanks, some example are definitely helpful!

2 Likes