Seeking Assistance with Automatic Hyphens After Two Letters in Text Field

I want there to be automatically a hyphen in the text box after 2 letters, and then be able to continue writing normally. Right now, it’s almost correct, but when I enter two more letters after the hyphen, the whole thing repeats. Thank you for your help, I’m an absolute beginner.

Hi and welcome to Thunkable!

Those blocks look like they should work this way:

You type “hi”

You see HI-

You then type “bye”

You see HI-BYE

Are you instead seeing HI-BYE-?

Are you able to share a link to the project? I’m curious to try it out and see if I can understand why it might not be working.

When I conduct the live test on the PC, it works perfectly as desired, but when I try to do the live test with my phone, it doesn’t work. I’ve also downloaded and installed the app, but the problem persists. This is how it looks:

I type “hi”

I see HI-

I try type “bye” after two letters this is what i see

HI-BHI-BY

when i press the “e” from bye

I see

HI-BHI-BYH ("<- Max amount of letters i set)

May be you need set your logic as …

Remove all hyphens from the

List…Text input

And insert hyphen in (list …removed hyphen text input) at position 3,6,9 etc.

You might need to first set a variable’s value to the text input’s text and then set the text input’s text to join the variable to a hyphen. Again, if you want to post a link to your project I can see about a fix.

Yes, I’ll send the link. Is there actually a way to compare the entered text with the content from the Data_Viewer_List to avoid saving the same thing twice? When you open the project, you’ll see what I mean. I hope you understand what I mean; I am German and not very good at English.
https://x.thunkable.com/copy/e2232a7dc91728439cd618d514a708fb

Do it this way or you won’t be able to backspace/delete the hyphen as it will continue to add it when only two letters are present.

I’m not sure which list of values you need because I don’t know German so set the list of values to the correct one. The list of values gets a whole column of data.

1 Like

So it works on my PC, as it did before. It doesn’t work on my phone; when I enter the third letter, it copies the first two. Like this:

I type: “hi”

I see: HI

I type “b”

And this comes out: HI-HIB

It is possible my Handy is the problem ? :sweat_smile:

It works for me on mobile and my PC. If it doesn’t work by following that picture, show your blocks. Also, make sure you add that Not block

I really think it’s my phone. I just opened it again; it was still open in the task manager, and it worked once, but unfortunately not anymore.

Close the app on your phone and try again. It does work on my end so It must be your phone like you said.

I don’t know if you have this problem or not but I have to quit Thunkable Live every time I want to preview a change I made. It doesn’t auto-sync with my project from Chrome on my desktop.

1 Like

Same thing on Android live app… after two three refreshes I need to quit app and relauch to see the changes…

1 Like

All the time. It’s just a habit now of closing the app everytime.

oday a friend was at my place, and we tried it with his phone (also Android), and he encountered the same problem. After nearly despairing today to solve the whole thing, I just had another idea to solve the problem and wanted to ask first if the whole thing is possible as I imagined. If yes, I can start working on it and try to implement it. However, I believe it will work. My idea is to use 2 different text input fields. So, one on the left, then a hyphen in a label that only becomes visible once something is entered in Text_Input1, and then another text field right next to it. When I confirm the whole thing with Enter, it will be merged so that I can continue using it on Screen2.

Have you tried solution posted above . Anything is possible but you need to put efforts

Try a wait time 0.1 second

Can you post a new link to your project?

Sorry for the late reply, I almost gave up but here’s the link again.

https://x.thunkable.com/copy/2ced8d3dedad8c1020bf88b6fe9d2e16