Sample Google Sheet project?

Does anyone have a sample project they can share that uses Google Sheets? I am trying to use the Create Row and Update Row blocks but there’s no documentation (from what I can find) and few examples anywhere. I want to add a value to a specific cell (A2) in the sheet. I’m not sure what to add for parameters.

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 5.52.11 PM

Also, how do I update only one cell? In the update value block above, it’s affecting the entire row, not just the JSON response column. My spreadsheet looks like this:

Cell B2 contains a formula: =a2. When I press enter in cell B2, the cell in B2 changes to “filler” as I would expect. But if I then run the blocks above in Thunkable, A2 remains as “filler” but B2 changes to the text string “filler”. It’s no longer a formula.

To simplify the problem: if I update a cell in a Google Sheet from Thunkable, the formulas in that same row are destroyed. So, for example, if I update A2, then a formula in A7 is turned into a value rather than remaining a formula.

formulas in that same row

Try putting formulas in an immutable string

@actech I’m not sure what you mean. If my cell formula is =Left(A2,6) what would the immutable string version of that be?

Data sources are so buggy in Thunkable. I keep having to add a new source every time I change a column header in Google Sheets. And then when I do that and reference a different sheet in the same document, the update value block in Thunkable updates the first sheet even if I tell it to update the second sheet. What a mess!

@tatiang Do you have one formula or should this formula be used for each row? If for each line, then my method will not work.

If a single formula is required, it can be placed in the first cell of the first row, and the data for the formula in the second row. Simply put, you need to specify the second row cell in the formula. In this case, if you change the cells in the second row, the formula in the first row will not be overwritten.

If you need formulas for each row, you can turn the table over. in other words, you specify formulas in the rows of the first row, and data below them. It turns out that the formulas are in columns, not in rows.

1 Like

@actech Both. I have a math formula that I use in every row of one column and then I have a sort formula that I use in the top row of a different column.

I get what you’re saying. I already tried that solution and it does work, to skip a row. It’s just annoying. I don’t understand why it replaces formulas in the entire row when I specify a single cell to update.

I hope they improve the Google Sheets integration. It just barely works.

I understand you. The question is: what is better than a partially working Google Sheet component, or that it does not exist at all until it works well? I am sure that 99% of users will choose the first option because something is better than nothing at all. ))

Currently, a software development methodology called waterfall and continuous integration is used. According to this methodology, a raw version of the software is released in production, which is then refined. Why was this methodology chosen? Because IT is developing so fast that it is not possible to develop an application for 3-4 years, as it was before. If a company wants to bring a high-quality app to the market in 4-5 years, then there is a 95% chance that it will be outdated by then and no one will need it. But most likely, by this time the company will have already gone bankrupt and will not be able to release any applications at all.

1 Like

Oh I’m thrilled that I can use Google Sheets at all. It’s something I’ve wanted to use in app development for years. So I’m quite happy to be able to integrate it. But at the same time quite frustrated. But you understand. :slight_smile:

I work in IT support – as well as being a teacher – so I’ve seen what you describe. Most software out there is in some sort of alpha or beta testing state even as it’s released. I think what’s difficult with Thunkable for many people is that the documentation doesn’t keep up with the changes. Thank goodness for these forums!

1 Like

You are right, if the project is released at the stage of alpha or beta testing, then the documentation (and technical support) should be at a good level. But it often happens that documentation and instructions are written only so that it is simply believed that there is no difference between high-quality documentation and incomplete documentation.