Reading text files from device

Hi there, I know that there was a “file” component in the storage category, but apparently it is gone now!!
So, how can I read text files from the device? in there a new component that can do that? I cant find one.

(Secondary request) Also, if there is a way to browse the files from within the app rather than typing a constant path to the needed file (as it was in the “ReadFrom” block from the previous “file” component), that would be much appreciated.

Thank you and have a nice day.

P.S. I did try to find an answer (for thunkable not app inventor) for this problem with no luck, if there are previous answers I would appreciate the link to them.

Hi @DarSinbad,

Do you consider to use Thunkable X to create your app? In Thunkable X version, you can use .csv format to read the text. Please check this video for further information.

-Joannie

1 Like

The file component is still there for me

data

It is not there for me

1 Like

Ah. You’re using Thunkable X. The File components you’re looking for is only available in Thunkable Classic at the moment.

1 Like

Thank you Conor for clearing that out :slight_smile:
Ok so I need to use the cross platform version, Joannie said that I can read .csv files.
but I still dont know how to do that. The video she provided is still using the file coomponent.
I there any way to read characters from any type of external files in thunkable x apps?

@DarSinbad or you can just the List to simplely store the string :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

You can see an example of selecting files on iOS on the scrFileViewer screen from the project

https://x.thunkable.com/projects/5cd84f23e3097f3353fdad45/project/properties/designer/

This method allows you to see photos, html, txt, etc. That’s only on Android, this method, unfortunately, does not work for some strange reason.

1 Like

I appreciate the help, Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

??? But this is the Thunkable X forum…

But using a List does not replace reading/writing files.

This thread is 6 months old. It was originally posted in the Thunkable Classic category.

2 Likes