New Blocks Editor Arrives

Hey all -

This is a known issue with App Inventor as well. We unfortunately don’t have a solution yet, but will let you know as soon as we do.

Amrita

1 Like

@RedScorpion_Gheorghi and @djsedaw
meanwhile you might want to follow tip 3 here
http://community.thunkable.com/t/general-tips-and-tricks-for-app-inventor-thunkable/5158?u=taifun
see also http://twodogapps.com/?page_id=686#Redundancy
and http://twodogapps.com/?page_id=686#Procedures

Taifun

Thank You @amrita [quote=“amrita, post:21, topic:5232, full:true”]
Hey all -

This is a known issue with App Inventor as well. We unfortunately don’t have a solution yet, but will let you know as soon as we do.

Amrita
[/quote]

I’ve noticed that lag too, but it’s when I use a mouse. I noticed that if I use gestures on the touch pad (if you happen to have that) on a laptop, it works great. Immediate response. I also noticed a new feature where it zooms in/out on the dev window, separate from the browser tab. So, the browser tab can still be at 100%, but the dev window can be at something that looks like 10%. Can’t see anything (hah), but it’s able to do that. I actually do make use of it though, because I do program in only one screen and use separate Vertical or Horizontal Layouts as the individual screens.

Pluses and minuses with this approach. The big minus is you end up with a huge number of blocks on one screen. For instance, this app I’m working on now has 2900 blocks on one screen, and yes, that’s another new feature. Right click on the dev window desktop and you get some additional options in the popup menu, one of them displaying the count of the number of blocks. Use caution though. Option is to DELETE 2900 BLOCKS. Useful though. The pluses is that it uses less resources, because your end up sharing things like a clock or backpress for multiple purposes (because you only have one screen). The biggest plus I’ve noticed is that switching screens is a lot faster. There was always that lag when you switch actual Screens, but switching to a different Layout is immediate.

5 posts were split to a new topic: What is the best way to create large lists in Thunkable?

I jst discovered the new block options. These are great additions, but it seems that once an operation is used on one screen (say, arrange vertically), it becomes grayed out on other screens as well, no matter which screen you move to.
In other words, it appears as if you can “arrange vertically” one screen only (and that applies to other operations as well).
I may be missing something, but that looks like a strange feature to me.

Sorry, I’m still getting used to receiving these community emails from Thunkable. I was wondering what this email was when I got it and only now I realize it was for a response to my response.

Anyway, I’ve never really used any of the arrange functions because when I tried each only once, they didn’t seem to arrange things the way I wanted. I typically arrange blocks by app feature across the top, then vertically for the processes that execute for that function. This seems to work for me and spreads everything out vertically and horizontally in a reasonably manageable format. This is where the snap-to and grid abilities help a little. Still a lot of work to arrange things manually, but I’ve not minded so far. I compared this to trying to learn Android Studio using Java and XML. That was a little mind boggling for me. Maybe later after I get some Thunkable apps under my belt I’ll try AS again.

Hope this helps…Clarence

Yeah, the comment was not addressed to you specifically, but as a follow up on the announcement. I may want to report this as a bug instead.

Done here.