New AdMob implementation

Hi everyone :wave:

You may have heard about some new privacy and transparency requirements from Apple. (If not, you can read about them here.)

These requirements are now implemented with Thunkable’s new update to Expo 41!

This means that there are some new project settings for you to check out.

AdMob: Android and iOS App IDs

If you are publishing your app for Android, and you serve ads with AdMob in your app, you will need to enter an Android App ID from AdMob.

If you are publishing your app for iOS, and you serve ads with AdMob in your app, you will need to enter an iOS App ID from AdMob.

You can find more information on AdMob App IDs here: Find your app IDs & ad unit IDs - Google AdMob Help

AdMob: Tracking Usage Description (iOS only)

If you are publishing your app for iOS, and you serve ads with AdMob in your app, you will also need a Tracking Usage Description. This is a string of text to explain to the user that a personal advertising identifier may be used to show them ads relevant to their online activity.

The Tracking Usage Description has the default value “This identifier will be used to deliver personalized ads to you.” You can enter your own personalized string to show to users if you like. This will be shown in a dialog like the following when the user opens your app for the first time:

As we note in the iOS Permissions section of the AdMob docs, this dialog will only be shown if the user has set the Allow Apps to Request to Track property in their device settings to true. If this device setting is set to false, the user will not see the dialog, and your app will not be allowed to show personalized ads to the user.

If your app is not given permission to show personalized ads to the user, your app will still show ads. They will simply be more generic ads, instead of ads tailored to the user’s other online activities.

Let us know if you have any questions about these AdMob and privacy updates.

Thanks for reading! :rainbow:

6 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for that. App Store requires Permission to Track even if an app is not using AdMob.

How to trigger the Permission Request Dialogi without using AdMob in a Thunlable app pls?

David

Do I just use this App ID for both of the following?
I don’t see where I’m supposed to get a different App ID for iOS vs Android.

Thanks

1 Like

Check under Ad Units

1 Like

I’m only seeing this, I can choose Add ad unit but that takes me down a different path

1 Like

Click on the unit and you should see something like this

1 Like

Yes you are correct, what do I do after that to get the iOS App ID

1 Like

If you have created the iOS Ad Unit then you will see it in the list.

1 Like

Where do I go to create an iOS ad unit?

When I click create ad unit, the only thing showing is Android. Is there somewhere else I need to go to enable iOS?

How would I change this to iOS?

1 Like

Use the Add App button

Wow so for each platform I have to have it’s own app in admob? I didn’t know that.

1 Like